B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Octane Boosters...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Default Octane Boosters...

http://www.stp.com/fuel_octane.php

http://www.prestone.com/products/fue...fuelAdditives4

I use an octane booster with every fill up. I use STP (the first link) but saw the Prestone OB (the second link) when I was in Wal-Mart a while back. Can anyone tell me the difference in them? there's about a $1.50 difference in the price and if there is no difference I'll keep using the cheap one.

Also, they have fuel treatments, cleaners and stuff. Is there anything else anyone recommends I use on my car?

My car used on 93 gas with the STP Octane Booster added in every fill up. My oil is changed every 4,000-4,500 miles with Mobile 1 Synthetic 5W-30 and a new filter of course.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:51 AM
4th Gear

So you are using 93 octane fuel, adding booster, and ending up with maybe 93.1 octane? Not worth it man.. besides, those are ethanol based. Ethanol has more octane than gas, but less energy. The car only requires 91. You are wasting your money.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:07 AM

What is your reason for using an octane booster?

Old 08-10-2009, 12:34 PM
4th Gear

Huge waste of money, if your are just using it for the cleaner then just buy an injector cleaner that you put in the tank.

If you read the octane booster products nearly every single one of them says it raises the octane by so many points, that means .** or tenths of an actual octane. The only octane booster that does anything is the one from Torco Race Fuels, but its not just a octane booster its a can of concentrated high octane race fuel.

But the thing is if your car is not tuned for higher octane you are not going to be getting any gains from running higher octane and just throwing good money away. The ecu can not add more timing, it can only run the max amount of timing the tuning is set for and pull back the timing if the tune is too aggressive. The truth is if you throw 100 octane in your tank on a 91-93 tune the car is actaully making less power since the fuel is burning too slowly and too late so you dont get the full push on the piston which results in decreased power.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 08-10-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:47 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by tdoyle
What is your reason for using an octane booster?
Like Jeremy Clarkson would say: POWER!!

lol yah all of those things are useless and a waste of money.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:40 PM

Only requires 91? Thought getting 93+ was what you should
Or Ultra 95 or whatever it is at Sunoco lol

Old 08-10-2009, 02:41 PM

I was using it thinking that it was adding power and upping my MPG's. but apparently not. so I'll stop using the OB and just add a cleaner instead? any recommendations?

I have to run 93, we don't have 91 around here.

I did not know any of this, my brother uses an octane booster in his car (an '04 Jetta) and got me started on it. He thinks he knows everything and argued with me when I had him read this.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:59 PM

Unless your car is setup to make use of higher octane, you're just burning money. Just send me $5 every time you fill your car and I'll put it to better use.

I wouldn't even bother with the injector cleaner. Maybe one treatment every 6 months...every 3 if you're paranoid about your injectors being clean. If you put injector cleaner in every fillup you can still send me that $5 instead...your car will run just as well.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:06 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Audie's Audi
I was using it thinking that it was adding power and upping my MPG's. but apparently not. so I'll stop using the OB and just add a cleaner instead? any recommendations?

I have to run 93, we don't have 91 around here.

I did not know any of this, my brother uses an octane booster in his car (an '04 Jetta) and got me started on it. He thinks he knows everything and argued with me when I had him read this.
Does the 3.0 even need high octane pump gas? The reason I ask is because not all fuels are equal and if it says 91 they most likely mean CA 91 since it is as bad as it gets for super unleaded pump gas, basically its equal to 87 octane where 93 octane is served at the pump. They dont call CA 91 fuel craptane for nothing.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 08-10-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Banned

google: toptiergas.com

all you need is good gas from these stations. no need for octane boosters or fuel injector cleaners. top tier gas has a good level of detergents.

Quick Reply: Octane Boosters...