B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Now everyone's gonna want one....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 07:10 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up Now everyone's gonna want one....

After many hours of research and a few postings I contacted Carousel Auomobiles(AUDI/PORSCHE) in Minneapolis, MN. I have purchased some factory replacement parts through them and had been previously referred to their service guy Bob who is in charge of the performance side of the service department...this guy knows it all, a guru so to speak. I presented him with the question of how much torque the CVT's in the B6's are capable of withstanding without damage to the tranny. He replied without hesitation "350-400 ft/lbs with upgraded tranny fluid" and that going 1+ would be no problem it can take more. Damn! That's pretty good. So here it is, as close to getting it from the horses mouth as I've been able to get.

With that in mind I think the CVT is f*#kin sweet!! While I know some will continue to argue that its weak but come on man how many of us are actually pushing over 400 ft/lbs? And the efficiency of the CVT makes it in my eyes Probably the best for 1/4 mile and 0-60 times due to the fact that the engine stays in the optimum rev range for the entire time my foot is on the throttle. No losing miliseconds due to shifting, or waiting and waiting for the engine to reach its optimum rev range 2-3 times in a run while you go through the gears...all that shifting for the manuals and tip-tronics adds up to increased times.

God has blessed German Engineering... including the CVT!

Last edited by krystallbluea4; 11-16-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:00 PM

cvt's are for grannies! :-p

Old 11-16-2008, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

Hahaha! I was waitin for that. I like your sense of humor threepointohh lol!!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:01 PM

haha..... how come the CVTs are the most replaced trannys under warranty...? they don't even make it to 50k miles.

they can handle it... sure, but for how long...? a day.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:18 PM
1st Gear

Darkprodo, thanks for your input when I was posting trying to get some legitimate info about the about the CVT tranny.

And as far as why they fail and are the most replaced under warranty I would think that you being a tech might have some ideas on that...

By the way I've got 66,000 miles on my car 35,000 from my lead foot. Seems to be holding up just fine. I'm going to flush the original fluid and replace it with something better as soon as I find out what the best stuff may be. If you have any ideas on that, it would actually help. I don't know if helping is something you want to do(for me) though.

Thanks man.

Last edited by krystallbluea4; 11-16-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:31 PM

well. when it comes to CVTs we really don't have a choice and don't get much feedback from audi on failure reasons. but i know its the highest failed tranny we have cause i replaced 2 so far this month. i was laughing at the "performance audi guy" not you for listening to him.

we contact audi tech line w/ the CVT problem and they just tell us to replace it. we take one out of a wood box and put the old one in it place and ship it.

it could be, cause the fluid is supposed to be flushed every 35k... but its a pain in the *** and somewhat time consuming and alot of dealers are not doing it like they should... so that could be the problem. making sure this flush is done every 35k is pretty much the only thing you can do. and fluid, i don't know of any other besides what audi makes. i mean your out of your initial new car warranty, i'd recommend looking into an extended warranty plan... its like health insurance for your audi.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

I bought an extended and canceled it because in order for them to honor the warranty I would have to have the oil changed at the dealer. Also I don't mind doing my own repairs always have always will. The tranny flush is out of my hands though because I do not have the equipment.
If I go to get it flushed, and you being a tech, is there anything you could suggest I say or do to make sure it's done properly? Even going so far as to ask if I can watch due to my concerns legitimized by a professional(you)? It's not like I'd go in there and scream at the service manager, "HEY! DARKPRODO TOLD ME YOU GUYS HALF *** THESE FLUSHES AND I WANNA WATCH TO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T F%#K IT UP!!" haha
Sorry I mistook the tone of your last post man, I've learned you gotta be a little tough on this site if you have a Frontrak w/CVT.

Last edited by krystallbluea4; 11-16-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:25 AM
3rd Gear

That would be really nice if all that is true!!! I'm not saying its not, but a lot of people blew up their cvt after going just a regular BT )) But like i said, i WOULD be happy to see the results. And 350 ft/lbs is A LOT

Old 11-17-2008, 10:38 AM
4th Gear

Stock vs stock does the CVT even put down better numbers then a manual?

How about chip vs chip? If it isn't faster at those levels it isn't going to be faster with when its making even more power.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:58 AM
3rd Gear

And what data/examples did this "performance guru" Bob have for you to back up his statement? Never heard of anyone putting down that much power on a CVT and even on a TIP its usually disasterous. If it could be done it probably would've been done already.

Last edited by euro_2nr; 11-17-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Now everyone's gonna want one....