B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Modify Card/Coin Tray to Dock iPhone 5 via Aux Input

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Modify Card/Coin Tray to Dock iPhone 5 via Aux Input

Haven't ever posted here so go easy. This is kind of low tech but very handy...

For a number of years, I have had various phones and MP3 players connected to my 2004 A4 factory symphony stereo via a PIE VWR-AUX auxiliary input. I had a standard stereo to RCA Y-cable routed between the center console and the dash on the driver's side and would set my phone in the card tray with the input plugged into the headphone jack. Worked great...until Apple decided to put the headphone port on the bottom of the iPhone 5.

I took it as a great excuse to try to modify the card tray for a slightly more elegant "dock" solution.

Assuming you already have the aux input, here's what you will need:
1. Small diameter stereo to RCA cable. My pre-existing cable was too thick to fit through the holes I drilled so I got a headphone extender cable at Radio Shack that was small in diameter (and yes, large in price). I'm sure you can find one cheap online.
2. Right-angle adapter for stereo cable.
3. Small flat head screw-driver.
4. Drill with different size bits.
5. Old credit card (or similarly thin piece of plastic).
6. Scissors.
7. Electric tape.
8. Patience.

Here's how I did it:

1. Remove the trim around the top of the card tray/cup holder assembly. You can use a small screwdriver wedged on the glove box side seam and pop it open. Pull firmly but slowly, it will come off easily.

2. Use stereo removal tools to slide the stereo out at least half way.

3. Use a small screw driver to push down on the release tabs for the card tray/ESP button assembly. It should slide out with minimal force once freed. There are how-tos out there for removing the cup holder and card tray if you need help.

4. Disconnect the ESP button cable and LED cord.

5. Remove the card tray/ESP button assembly.

6. Drill the largest hole you can tolerate in the back of the card tray. Be careful not to break anything while doing this (I used a small hole at first and then enlarged it a few times).

7. Enlarge the pre-existing hole on the back left of the assembly. You will have to remove the LED connector first.

8. Cut an indent in the flange behind the card tray drawer so it doesn't pinch the cord when it slides.

9. Feed your cable through the enlarged hole in the back of the assembly, under the notch in the flange of the drawer, and then through the hole you made in the back hole of the drawer.

10. Cut a strip of credit card to fit in the track for the drawer. It should be about 1/4" wide by about 2" long.

11. Tape the plastic piece into the track using electric tape. This will keep the drawer from opening fully.

12. Fish the end of the stereo cable through the card tray slot in the dash board and connect it to your stereo's aux input.

13. Reattach the ESP button and LED cable.

14. Slide the tray/ESP button assembly back into place until it clicks.

15. Open and close the drawer a bunch to make sure it works and doesn't get stuck. Make sure the cord is close to the opening of the drawer so you can hook up your phone.

16. Push the stereo back into place.

17. Replace the trim.

You now have a low tech but pretty elegant dock for your iPhone or other phone/mp3 player!

Attached Thumbnails Modify Card/Coin Tray to Dock iPhone 5 via Aux Input-img_8348.jpg   Modify Card/Coin Tray to Dock iPhone 5 via Aux Input-img_8349.jpg   Modify Card/Coin Tray to Dock iPhone 5 via Aux Input-img_8350.jpg   Modify Card/Coin Tray to Dock iPhone 5 via Aux Input-img_8352.jpg   Modify Card/Coin Tray to Dock iPhone 5 via Aux Input-img_8359.jpg  

Old 11-30-2012, 05:34 AM
3rd Gear

Very nice and cost effective! Makes for a clean install.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

Very awesome! I'd like to do this setup but with the lightning connector as well so it charges...
I'll do some brainstorming