B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Lowering the governor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:31 PM
3rd Gear
Default Lowering the governor?

I love my A6 and am thinking of buying an A4 2.0T for my college kid. But I dread the thought of him having a car that can go 133. While not much safer, is there any way to reprogram the electronic governor (using Vagcom or somesuch) to reduce the top end to ~100.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:51 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Lowering the governor?

Well...an accident @ 100 or 133 is probably the end of the story in a bad way anyway.
I'm not understanding your concern, though? My 2000 Mitsubishi Gallant can probably go around 100-110, but if you dont trust him with a hot car then whats the point of getting an Audi for him?
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/07...ph-in-a-prius/

Old 05-22-2008, 04:55 PM
2nd Gear

also, if there is a way to lower it and your son is into cars then im sure there is the same process to where he can raise it or remove it completely without your knowledge of it being done

Old 05-22-2008, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

HAHA I LOVE that link to Gores son, that made my day!

As far as dropping the governer, the only way I know to do anything with it is to have the car Chipped, and that removes it altogether. I do know that, if MY car had the governer at 100, I would have that car chipped so fast you'd never know until you saw me cruising at 145. Of all cars to get in accidents with though, Audi's are going to be a hell of a lot safer than that Nissan Maxima I keep racing that lives down the street. You could always buy smaller tires

OOH! Wow, I just remembered, APR hasa Valet program on their ECU, limits the RPM to 4000 and speed to like 70 I think. Let me get a link:
http://goapr.com/Audi/products/ecu_upgrade_b7a4.html

I couldn't find the info page for the actual valet program, but that may be more what you are looking for...

Old 05-22-2008, 09:38 PM
2nd Gear

but once he figures out that he cant go passed 4000 rpm and 70mph, he'll realise something if wrong, either ask his dad why or take it to the dealer or both and find out that he has a chip, then figure out how to reverse this and get the opposite of what the dad intended on doin and get more power than stock!

so unless you son isnt into cars at all and just uses it to get from point A to B then i dont think there is going to be much hope for it, unfortunately for you... and maybe fortunately for your son

Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

Well, it all depends, I know APR can be switched on the fly, but what if thats the only program on there?

It's just a thought, and you can "check" on the car now and then by holding the button to switch the programs and watching the dash lights.

If theres more than one program, then they'll flash.

Which again raises the question of why would you spend the money on a sports/luxury car, the out-the-a$$ repairs for an Audi, and cripple it so that its as powerful as a Chevy Aveo? If you want safety with no ***** go buy a Mercedes... lol

Old 05-23-2008, 08:32 AM
3rd Gear

Yah I got the Valet program on my chip but its easily detectable and the modes can be switched usin the CC stalk. Simplest thing ever. Besides ppgoal, how do you know your son doesn't go on AF if you do? IMHO (being that I'm still a teenager) crippling his cars capabilities won't teach him to be responsible. When I got my 2.7t I was a fresh 16 yr old and chipped it right away and stuff and it was the fastest thing I'd driven in the short 3 months of driving experience I had under my belt. My parents knew it was a rocket but never worried bout me going all retarted about it. I'm not gonna lie I did hit 140 and 145 a couple times but that was in the interstate at night with absolutely no one around. I guess I was responsibly being dumb. But it wasn't an all the time kind of thing. I just wanted to see how it was and once it got outta my system I never really went that high often. And of course he's gonna want to test his new $40k+ car out and show his friends what a lucky bastard he is! (lol that was just my envy of not getting my first Audi from my folks) You should know your son well enough to see if he should get a car like that so soon.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:29 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the feedback. Why? Well, we live in the snowbelt and with Quattro it's fantastic in the snow, plus with ESP/ABS and all the airbags it's very safe. I agree that at 100 or 130 the damage - either physical or speeding ticket - are about the same. It's just easier to control a car up to 100. After that you need a lot more experience and anticipation. Last, he knows nothing about engines and if I tell him it's set to 100 and it will get removed when he's 20 or 21, he's too cheap topay someone to change it.

He could end up with a lightly used Saturn instead.