B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

lightweight flywheel??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear
Default lightweight flywheel??

hey guys, have any of you had a lightweight flywheel installed? even if you havent do you know what kinda of difference it makes in shifting? i have 3.06 speed manual, and have a hard time with my shifting, i am alot better now but still have timing issues, i wasnt sure if replacing the heavy flywheel with a light weight would help at all...

Old 03-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: lightweight flywheel??

If your not good a shifting yet, a light flywheel would make it harder to drive. The RPM's would drop faster, especially when you have a load on the engine like going up hill.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

A lightweight flywheel usually is used for it's lighter weight, which reduces the rotating mass and frees up more power (engine doesn't have to work as hard to spin the flywheel). Also the lightweight flywheels usually are more durable and can dissipate heater much faster, which helps during aggressive driving. The engine will be able to rev faster, and usually with a little more ease..so that might help with your timing issues, but I couldn't say for sure.

These are supposed to be pretty good: http://www.fidanza.com/aluminum-flywheels.aspx

Old 03-02-2008, 03:40 PM
2nd Gear

alright... tech, what about a different clutch? to get a different feel...

Old 03-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Site Moderator

The stronger the pressure assembly of the clutch the more force it will exert on the flywheel, it also means that pedal effort will be higher. Again, this will make smooth engagement harder to achieve because the clutch will engage faster than a diaphram style clutch which is designed to "slip" to get that smooth engagement. Diaphram style clutches were mainly installed because of women driving the vehicle. There is a lesser chance of a woman driving an RS4 lets say, so clutch feel kinda gets thrown out the window.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:22 PM
2nd Gear

alright... thanks, idk if its the engagement point eing so close to the top or what but...

Old 03-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Site Moderator

The more the clutch wears the higher the clutch pedal will be upon engagement, since out clutches are self adjusting it means your gonna need a new clutch soon. The clutch should fully engage the flywheel upon releasing the pedal half way when the clutch is new.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:39 AM
2nd Gear

ohh well thats nice... ^^ im sure youve changed a few of these clutches, how much of a pita is it?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:13 AM
2nd Gear

i just did mine on the 1.8t and it is a BIATCH! not crazy hard but its a long job no doubt..,.

i have a southbend FE SS and its engagement point is at the floor! very grabby clutch much harder to drive smooth but it sure can handle the power of my MASSIVE 1+

Old 03-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Site Moderator

Well a clutch on a 1.8T is so easy its not even funny, the 3.0L on the other hand makes me cringe thinking about it.
3.0L clutches haven't really been that bad really. I only had to change 2 clutches to date. So un-less yours is slipping really badly i would just let it go.

Quick Reply: lightweight flywheel??