B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

I finally have the funds!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:06 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: I finally have the funds!!!

Yes I have thourally inspected the newbie guide.........again and again. Ive done many hours of reasearch and the gt2871r elim. seems to be the most efficient and versatile turbo for the money, yet I think I will be looking for more once installed. Any suggestions for kits or the necessary components for the T3/t4 50trim, and/or the Gt2871r Elim? Since you don't recommend the ATP tuning who should I have flash my ECU? I already have the APR stage1+ chip, will this save me some money or will whoever I go with have to use their chip? I'm looking at $1600 for the Gt2871r Elim. kit, which also requires the high flow injectors for $250, and tuning for another $500 since none of the other companies I've called will use the APR chip that is already installed. If you have anly links for me to go to and buy the t3, or the 2871r in a kit, or at least a reasonable price? Also I like the more conservative exhaust you mentioned in the newbie guide. Who would you recommend I purchase my exhaust from since you are runing the techtonics system I'm interested in? To sum it up, I want my car to smoke srt-4's, s2000's, most mildly modified tuners and modified v-8s, yet it is still a lightly driven daily driver. You seem to know your ****, so tell me what to buy and ill get it.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:31 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: markmile

Yes I have thourally inspected the newbie guide.........again and again. Ive done many hours of reasearch and the gt2871r elim. seems to be the most efficient and versatile turbo for the money, yet I think I will be looking for more once installed. Any suggestions for kits or the necessary components for the T3/t4 50trim, and/or the Gt2871r Elim? Since you don't recommend the ATP tuning who should I have flash my ECU? I already have the APR stage1+ chip, will this save me some money or will whoever I go with have to use their chip? I'm looking at $1600 for the Gt2871r Elim. kit, which also requires the high flow injectors for $250, and tuning for another $500 since none of the other companies I've called will use the APR chip that is already installed. If you have anly links for me to go to and buy the t3, or the 2871r in a kit, or at least a reasonable price? Also I like the more conservative exhaust you mentioned in the newbie guide. Who would you recommend I purchase my exhaust from since you are runing the techtonics system I'm interested in? To sum it up, I want my car to smoke srt-4's, s2000's, most mildly modified tuners and modified v-8s, yet it is still a lightly driven daily driver. You seem to know your ****, so tell me what to buy and ill get it.
i would never get a 71r elim. its a 400hp turbo with a 250hp flange on it. it doesn't flow correctly and you will have hella lag and a small powerband. so while technically you can push upwards of 350hp you will only ever see those numbers high in the rpms. the only elim worth getting IMO is the gtrs. it has little lag yet produces decent numbers, and isn't choking because of the flange. but that turbo isn't gona produce the numbers you want. for the numbers you want, your gona need to go to a full setup, not just an elim setup. you can choose either a t3t4 turbo which is a journal bearing, or a gt28rs, which is a ball bearing. the ball bearing turbo's spool faster but t3t4's are much cheaper and the lag isn't bad at all.

both setups will be very similar. just look under gt28rs in the newbie guide for the complete parts list. as for software i would recommend unitronics.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

4 grand wont get you a whole lot trust me. I have put over 20k in my car alone and Im still not done getting everything I need.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, well i've been searching(forums,websites) and calling and asking.....and I talked with a guy at APRtuning and was totally confident with the APR Stage3+ kit. I'm sure he was pushing it because that is what he is paid to do. The APR kit seems to have a good reputation, but when you can only talk him down to $4999. W/free shipping, im sure I can do much more with $5000. 034 needs and A4 to use to make a chip for their chip tuning software. I could go to cALI and have them put my car through numerous hours of Dyno tuning at a fraction of the cost since they would be using my car to make the initial chip. Or I can spend a little over a thousand on the 034 ECU.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm make believe

You are so lost here. You learn tuningfrom Kemp?

Old 02-08-2008, 10:55 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

i would never get a 71r elim. its a 400hp turbo with a 250hp flange on it. it doesn't flow correctly and you will have hella lag and a small powerband. so while technically you can push upwards of 350hp you will only ever see those numbers high in the rpms. the only elim worth getting IMO is the gtrs. it has little lag yet produces decent numbers, and isn't choking because of the flange. but that turbo isn't gona produce the numbers you want. for the numbers you want, your gona need to go to a full setup, not just an elim setup. you can choose either a t3t4 turbo which is a journal bearing, or a gt28rs, which is a ball bearing. the ball bearing turbo's spool faster but t3t4's are much cheaper and the lag isn't bad at all. just curious, but have you driven or ridin in a 1.8t with an elim kit on it? and compared it to a car with a full t25 garrett turbo on it? just checking, cause i have, and i don't quite agree with some of your points

both setups will be very similar. just look under gt28rs in the newbie guide for the complete parts list. as for software i would recommend unitronics. you meant REVO. this is B6 country
oh, and i haven't had a chance to compare the two elims yet. but from talking to mike hood who has raced multiple different cars with same setups just only difference is 71r and gtrs. he states that the spool the same, and make about the same power. and also yield about the same drag times. the housing really does make them flow the same. regardless of compressor wheel..

moving.......

Old 02-08-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm make believe

Well since they run the same turbine housing and wheel, spool will be very simular (same family turbos spool ~200rpms differnt).

As for the ko3 flange. it is about the 80% the size of the T25 and even less of a T3 flange. Trying to run 300hp on a ko3 flange isnt smart, trying to run a 400hp turbo.... well, you can do the math.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:16 PM
2nd Gear

cincy, we've been over this [:@]

Old 02-09-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm make believe

Right, and you still dont get that running large turbo on a tiny flange isnt a good thing. Why do you think just about everyone uses a T3 for gt30 turbos and not a t25? You can always do something, doesnt mean its the optimum solution.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:21 PM
2nd Gear

oh i get it. i've gotten it for a long time. it's not at all hard. you can look at the hybrid gt3071rwg that uses a t25 flange. it spools a bit faster, but it suffers up top..

but im just defending the elims. chaos has not ever riden in one but he's giving out info like he owns one. have you ever riden or driven an elim 1.8t? cause again, i have, as well as my t25 gt28rs everyday. and the comparison is much closer than people on here(you and chaos) give them credit for

Quick Reply: I finally have the funds!!!