B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

I finally have the funds!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:54 AM
1st Gear
Default I finally have the funds!!!

Alright I have finally saved enough to add some major power. I just ordered the upgraded brake system and now I have $3500 to spend and I will extend that to $4000 if necessary to get the power boost I'm looking for. I have the APR stage 1+ with the 225HP injectors and its not enough damnit! I need everybodies opinion: What turbo? What tuning shop that is close to indiana? and what would you do with $4000 and a 2002 1.8t audi A4 quattro. The garret GT35 seems appealing considering how it is good for 340hp. What turbo should I buy that i can slap in and drive everyday and break the 330hp mark? What other components should i buy and who can install it for me? What it breaks down to is what would you buy with $4000 to make a 1.8t outperform the competition in lafayette, IN? Please let me know because I am anxious to start the major mods. p.s. what is a good front mount intercooler I can buy and what is a good exhaust i can buy that will give me a good HP gain without sounding like a pissed off bumble bee?

Old 01-26-2008, 12:41 PM
CIA
1st Gear
Default RE: I finally have the funds!!!

Ithink that if you had done your homework (search) you should know what are the best options for you. Dont get me wrong, i think that if you search properly on this forum, you can find what other ppl have done to thier cars and what are the results.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:15 PM
5th Gear

i would sell the 1.8t and get a b5 s4 lol. but that's just me. for you, do a bit of searching and pm cincytt. he's the man

Old 01-26-2008, 01:51 PM
3rd Gear

Are u in Indiana? How close to Chicago???

Old 01-26-2008, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

stick with the B6.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Tech Slut

ORIGINAL: markmile

The garret GT35 seems appealing considering how it is good for 340hp.
its good for a whole hell of a lot more than that... If i had that turbo and only made 340, i would kill myself.
Also, 4grand is not going to even buy the required components to run a gt35... let alone if you are paying for the labor, forget about it. I'm not trying to discourage you, but its just not possible. maybe an elim kit is better for you... when you say "330hp", does that mean you want 330crank or awhp?

Old 01-26-2008, 04:46 PM
5th Gear

click link in my sig

Old 01-27-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: FasterA4ThanUrs

The garret GT35 seems appealing considering how it is good for 340hp.
its good for a whole hell of a lot more than that... If i had that turbo and only made 340, i would kill myself.
Also, 4grand is not going to even buy the required components to run a gt35... let alone if you are paying for the labor, forget about it. I'm not trying to discourage you, but its just not possible. maybe an elim kit is better for you... when you say "330hp", does that mean you want 330crank or awhp?
LOL, me too. Nothing like adding a turbo that can make over 700bhp for 340hp...LOL. Thats like maybe 12psi on a turbo that people push to over 40psi with. Not to mention you wont see it until 4600-4800rpms.

Dude, seriously, read the newbie guide that others have pointed you to

Old 01-28-2008, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

Yeah actually I'm set on the garret GTRS eliminator kit. I have the 225Hp tt injectors but they have an $800 fuel injector/software package. Anybody know how many cc's the injectors are? I also noticed they have a gt2871r upgrade option. You guys have any clue as to how much more powerful this option is and how much slower it will spool than the GTRS? When I order my exhaust it should bolt right up to the eliminator series turbo,....right? Lastly, the GTRS(shown here--&gt http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...ory_Code=VVWTK
is said to produce "up to 350Hp" Are better numbers easier to obtain and how would the gt2871r fare against the gtrs? Also would an after market intercooler be necessary or would the stock SMIC be sufficient?

Old 01-28-2008, 12:00 PM
5th Gear

Yeah actually I'm set on the garret GTRS eliminator kit. I have the 225Hp tt injectors but they have an $800 fuel injector/software package. Anybody know how many cc's the injectors are? I also noticed they have a gt2871r upgrade option. You guys have any clue as to how much more powerful this option is and how much slower it will spool than the GTRS? When I order my exhaust it should bolt right up to the eliminator series turbo,....right? Lastly, the GTRS(shown here--&gt http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...ory_Code=VVWTK
is said to produce "up to 350Hp" Are better numbers easier to obtain and how would the gt2871r fare against the gtrs? Also would an after market intercooler be necessary or would the stock SMIC be sufficient?
225tt injectors are 380cc. you dont want the mika tuning ATP offers. anything over a k04 will need a fmic or upgraded smic. a gtrs will only produce ~300hp, maybe a little more with race gas and a high boost setting...maybe. you should be looking at a gt28rs or t3t4 50 trim for your plans. a gt2871r can produce a lot more power but it will require forged rods if you plan on boosting higher than ~20psi. did you read my newbie guide? it lays everything out for you

K04- easiest and most reliable replacement turbo. It is a direct bolt on replacement. You don't need to replace anything but it is strongly recommended that you get new programming. The most popular is GIAC and with it you will also need a 5 bar FPR. GIAC also offers 3 aggressive files PC-16 for Pre '00, J31 for '00, and Hammer for '01. They are each different but all require an adjustable FPR, bigger injectors, fmic, and you will most likely need a new clutch soon after. If you have a B6 or B7 A4 the k04 is a pointless upgrade. You will only gain a 5-10 hp because of the k03s. It has a 1mm bigger wheel shaft, and more aggressively angled fins on the compressor wheel so it can hold more boost more efficiently. A big injector file for the k03 will put out almost the same numbers as a k04 setup. k04 will max out around 250hp

Elims- The cheapest and easiest BT setups, but produce the least power. They eliminate the need for a new exhaust manifold and testpipe like full turbo setups require. The gt2x is only oil-cooled and has a not so good reputation, but it is the cheapest. The gtrs is a good choice. Lots more power than a k03/k04 yet has very little lag. Another choice is the 71r Elim. It has the same housing as the gtrs but a larger comressor wheel. Because of this it has slightly more lag but produces a little more power in mid-range but will get choked out in the higher rpms due to the small exhaust housing. If i were gona get an elim I would get the gtrs. With each of the elims you will need bigger injectors, software, fmic or water/meth, and a clutch would be a good idea too. It's also recommended you get a braided oil return line cause the stock one is a pain to get it. GTRS will max out around 300hp. 2871r elim will max out between 350-400hp.

GT28RS- You will need to get a new exhaust manifold due to the different flange, the stock one would most likely crack and rob it horsepower anyways. You also need a new testpipe/cat or you could just get a new flange welded on. You will also need a 3" VR6 MAF, custom intake, 3" turbo inlet pipe, 2.75"-3" exhaust, FMIC, bigger injectors (660 or 440 usually depending on the software), walboro 225lph fuel pump, stage 3 or higher clutch, adjustable fpr, and oil and coolant lines. And new mounts (all of them engine, tranny, differential, snub),a bigger oil cooler, new suspension, and bigger brakes are good ideas as well but not required. Cost will vary depending on what you have done to your car already. For a stock A4 expect a shop to charge you 7 grand, if you can do it yourself it'll cost around 4 grand for everything. It will max out around 350hp.

T3S60- This turbo is very simular to the gt28rs but unlike the rs, it is a journal bearing turbo. It spools a little slower than the 28rs while making simular numbers. The cost of this turbo is also about 1/2 of the 28rs

GT2871R- Pretty much the same as the GT28RS only bigger. .64 A/R is the faster spooling one. It should be fully spooled ~3600RPM. The .86 A/R has a bit more lag, full boost right around 4KRPM, but it produces more top end power. With the .86 A/R you will need the same mods as the gt28rs, but with the .64 A/R you will need that plus new forged connecting rods if your planning on running it past 20psi. Most AEB guys go with Scat rods, and all others use Integrated Engineering rods w/ 19mm wrist pins (unless you swap in 20mm pistons). Some people dispute whether or not you need new rods with the .86 A/R but there are some guys using stock rods and haven't run into a problem...yet. And you'll also want a stage 4 clutch. 2871r will max out around 500hp

GT3071R- Bigger turbine than the 2871r. The .63 A/R spools ~4KRPM and produces more power than the 2871r .86 A/R. There is also a .82 A/R on the 3071r which hit full boost around 4500RPM. You'll want a stage 4 or 5 clutch and new rods for both these turbos. It will max out around 600hp.

GT3076R- Uses the gt30 turbine wheel and a 76mm compressor wheel and spools the same as a 3071 maybe 100rpms later. Also where the 3071r tops out at just over 400whp, this turbo is efficent enough to reach 500whp with a proper tune and upgrades. On pump and low boost (22-24psi), expect to see just ~400whp and mid 300tq depending on mods. Popular with guys who bore their engine out to 2.0L to put down sick numbers.

GT3082R/GT3040r- A combination of the gt30 turbine wheel and the same 82mm compressor wheel found on the gt35r and gt40r. It is a decent turbo that is capable of high 500whp and will spool between the 3076 and gt35r.

GT3582R- The big daddy turbo. Good for 700hp+ and 10 sec 1/4 miles. Spool is expected about 47-4800 on a .63. This turbo is known to surge on stock displacement so a anti surge housing is a good idea along with a AEB head and/or stroker engine.

T3/T4- Turbo's that use a t3 turbine and a t4 compressor. These come in so many sizes and variations its ridiculous. They can produce anywhere from 300 to 700+ hp depending on the turbo and your setup. The only one that really should be used is the 50trim. It is the most effient of the 50,57 and 60 trim turbos. Unlike the gt turbos, these use old technology with journal bearings. This gives the turbo slower spool but is more gradual. This also makes it easier on the rods to where higher hp numbers can be achieved on a stock engine. The only other drawback is that the turbo doesnt respool as fast as a dbb turbo. But on the brighter side, these turbos can be had for a mear $575-625 depending on where you shop. Also the lag can be decreased by using a .48 housing or a .63 housing for more top end. A 50trim will spool just past 4k and is capable of making 350whp on pump and over 400whp on race gas and proper mods.
and boost comparisons of the turbo's
Name:  gt3540_spool.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  75.9 KB

Quick Reply: I finally have the funds!!!