B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

HID Confusion! Please help this newb!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:53 AM
1st Gear
Default HID Confusion! Please help this newb!

Ok so I’ve read endless posts on HID kits and bulbs and whatnot. Some posts show a whole headlight kit, while others show just bulb replacements. I have an ‘04 A4 and just want bright-white headlights (6000k). I’m strapped for cash so I’m looking for a cost-effective solution, but don’t want tacky headlights that have blue or purple tints to them, just pure-bright-white.

So do I have to get a whole HID kit? I’ve read about these “Sylvania H7’s”. If I was to buy these, do I just replace my stock bulbs? Do I need a special connector or ballast or anything like that? Also, there are 3 sets of lights right? High-beam, low-beam, and fogs … which ones am I to replace?? I would like the low-beams to match with the fogs … are they different bulb sizes? Am I essentially buying 2 pairs of Sylvanias H7’s?

Please “unconfuse” me if you can eh, cheers

Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 AM
3rd Gear

You need to buy the whole kit to get HID, "XENON" lights. 6000K is a bit blueish btw. 4300K is the brigthest (white) you can go with. I usually buy from vvme.com it is about $65 shipped. If u buy only the bulb, it might change a look a bit, still you gonna have the regular halogen bulb.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:33 AM
1st Gear
Default ...

Originally Posted by audiprotein
You need to buy the whole kit to get HID, "XENON" lights. 6000K is a bit blueish btw. 4300K is the brigthest (white) you can go with. I usually buy from vvme.com it is about $65 shipped. If u buy only the bulb, it might change a look a bit, still you gonna have the regular halogen bulb.
Ok so if I buy the kit from VVME.com, I see two kits: Single Beam Model, and Bi-Xenon Model ... what's the difference? I know it means single and dual ... but what's the difference in output and whatnot? Also, do I have to buy 2 kits to replace both the headlamps and fogs? Or would it make sense to replace the headlights with the kit, and just get Sylvanias for the fogs?

Old 10-21-2008, 11:33 AM

You need single beamif you intend on installing a VVME kit on your current car. You do not have th efuntionality for bi-xenon to work on your car. I strongly suggest you invest in a set of HID headight housings and get a kit for that rather than putting a it in your halogen housings. The cut off isn't as horrible as some other cars that are not fortunate enough to have a projector to focus the beam, but if you get in a car with factory HIDs or HIDs in an HID housing, the difference is clear...NO GLARE.

With that said, those are your two options, good luck.