B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Help please, misfires

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Administrator

That still sounds kind of suspect since you said your plugs are new from them already. Auditech79 would know for sure and thankfully he's chiming in here. It just seems shady that they just threw several thousand dollars' worth of parts at the car before starting to actually troubleshoot, so I'm glad AOA is looking into it.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

Agreed. Not sure if AOA will be of much help, but we"ll see. I told them to order the ECU, but not to put it in until AOA responds to me. They also said they have an "A" mechanic on my car who has several years experience with Audi. Wearing me out quite frankly!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Site Moderator

If its not loading into the ECM its more likely they are flashing it with the incorrect version, or the scan tool being used is malfunctioning. However if AOA is involved and they try to install the new ECM and it DOESN'T fix it, they can't expect you to pay for the ECM, so i wouldn't worry about it too much now that AOA is involved. AOA can put a hurtin on a dealership, and if they are missdiagnosing the car it can get really ugly for the dealer. (i know)
This is what i suggest, you pretty much have them by the ***** now (they know it) but AOA will be calling the shots. Its the dealer's assumption that the ECM is bad, AOA will want them to install it to see if they're right, so let them do it. If it doesn't fix it AOA might send out a technical director ( 1 of the 4 best audi technicians in the US) to figure out the issue. This is a great thing because they report right to audi, and they usually send the bill to the dealership instead of you. So the way i see it, just stand firm and don't let them push you around, you should come out on top.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 AM
1st Gear

Thanks! They haven't even tried loading the new software, just said it can't be done. I'm not trying to be difficult by involving AOA, just want answers. The service guy said AOA is just going to ask them why they haven't installed the new ECU yet. At any rate, I am to have a response from AOA by end of business tomorrow.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Site Moderator

I talked to a friend of mine still at the dealer, according to audi the flash is only for the A6 3.0L engines, not the A4's which is probably why they haven't done it yet. However its the exact same engine, i don't know why audi wouldn't make a flash for both, or maybe it will be found out VERY soon........Wish you the best of luck.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 AM
1st Gear

Just an update. AOA confirmed that the ECU needed to be replaced which was done yesterday. 4 different people have driven and checked the car, engine light has stayed off. Hopefully, this will be the end of the issues! Thanks all for your help!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

I am having a simar problem 04 a4 3.0 I got cylinders 5 & 6 misfiring, I recently had the engine re-built but however I don't think that has anything to do with it. This is a very cerious problem that many people with the 3.0 seam to have. I know for a fact there is a factory Recall on the coils with that I would think they would have to do a flash update as well. I had the coils replaced 12k miles ago and never had a problem up until now. I am cerious and am going to ask Audi if this is related. What a cerious problem though. To me it really sounds like its eather a simple sensor or a computer issue that is backed by Audi. For you I would suggest having Audi run your vin for that recall.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:56 AM
1st Gear

ohh boy, I suppose I should have read your last post. haha...I still say check for that recall! great to hear you fixed it.