B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Help! My car is sputtering >.<

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 04:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Help! My car is sputtering >.<

All of a sudden the car started sputtering and the CEL comes on and will flash when the car starts sputtering. It sputters only when I apply the gas, but also a small amount when the car is idling. It won't sputter if I'm simple coasting though. We pulled over and opened the hood. There was something glowing that my friend concluded was the catalytic converter. Does anyone else have any other thoughts as to what the problem could be, and possible solutions?

Thanks.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:16 PM

It sounds like a clogged catalytic converter.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:37 PM

failed coil pack ... since a cylinder is misfiring the fuel gets burned off in the cat i think. check your ignition coils before you start driving again. you're ruining the car.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:20 PM
4th Gear

check ur coils or go to autozone and tell them to scan ur car they will tell u whats wrong

Old 09-22-2008, 01:46 AM

email me nktanoli789 at yahoo .. its an easy DIY, DO NOT drive your car, you ll mess up the catalytic converter (3000$+ expense) ..provide your number, i ll call and explain how to fix it... other B6 owners carry an extra couple of cylinder coils with you because this seesm to be a common problem after 100K and most B6 should be around that mark by now

Just take your VIN to the dealership and get cylinder coil (50$ aprox) , you ll need one but i would say get an extra one and keep in your glove box in case if it happens when you are on the road..

Old 09-22-2008, 02:03 PM
4th Gear

u should replace all four with Bremi - Igntion Coils, If they give u any other i would recommend gettin these instead. The dealerships coils will go bad again and again. Just upgrade them all of them cuz if one has gone bad the others will soon go. if u want to make sure it is the coils and not go and just spend 50 bucks for nothing swap out ur coils to ur different ports.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Now You Tell Me

I have had three of my coils go within a few thousand miles of eachother (yes i replaced the fourth one as well) but I did drive it to the dealership each time to get the coils probably 10 miles or so through town any way to tell if I caused damage to the cat by doing so?

Old 10-08-2008, 05:05 AM
1st Gear

i have an 01 a4 avant 1.8T. about 3 months ago, coil 2 went out when i was cruising at 25, approaching my house, then 2 days later, coil 3 went out when i was at a stop sign, they just stopped working randomly. so i replaced the other 2 as well. all new sti coils. so i'm driving to school today, coming up to a right turn, and this ***** in a little rice rocket blows the stop sign to get in front of me (these roads are in merced CA so they're in the middle of no where), and he gave me an dirty/challenging look so i had to kick his ***. 3 miles of 2 lane road, surrounded by fields, completely open. he floors it, i turn off my esp,drift round the corner, and we're off. I keep up with him relatively easily, but then my turbo kicks in and i pop out of his slip stream and over take him. i gave him a courtesy wave as i passed, out of respect of me schooling him. so he backs off. A couple seconds later, i hit a hundo in 4th at 4k, after hitting 6200 (200 below redline) in 3rd and then POP! i back of the gas, thinking i blew a tire but the wheel didn't jerk at all. i glide down to about 90 and then gas it a little and it shudders, the same way it did when the other one when out. so i turn of into an open parking lot and pop the hood and keep engine on. nothing out of the ordinary, except for a little hissing coming from hte rear. i think busted hose? then i see a little bit of smoke coming from the from of the engine. i think it's on fire, but then i notice its only a little tiny bit so i turn off the engine and take off the plastic thing. then i see that the smoke is coming from the front most coil, i back off a little and call my buddy to pick me up. the smoke dies down after a min or 2. i fiddle with the coil and it's a little loose, and then it just comes right out. and there's the dried gum-looking stuff on the outside. hard as rock. i look in there, and i see half a spark park, with the other half being in my hand. so basically i blew up an ignition coil and split a spark spug in half. the smoke i figured out was fuel being injected into the cylinder b/c the engine was still on. i diconnected the fuel injector, started it up, and drove home, keeping it under 3k, and have no plans to drive it in the near future. any advice you could offer on my situation would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Old 10-08-2008, 09:15 AM

wow i've never heard of that one before... appearently you forced the coil pack down too hard when you were replacing or your spark plug was torqued down too tight... or could've just been defective for it to snap like that. for now i would just replace the plugs and monitor to see if anyhting weird happens.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:30 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Plectrum
i have an 01 a4 avant 1.8T. about 3 months ago, coil 2 went out when i was cruising at 25, approaching my house, then 2 days later, coil 3 went out when i was at a stop sign, they just stopped working randomly. so i replaced the other 2 as well. all new sti coils. so i'm driving to school today, coming up to a right turn, and this ***** in a little rice rocket blows the stop sign to get in front of me (these roads are in merced CA so they're in the middle of no where), and he gave me an dirty/challenging look so i had to kick his ***. 3 miles of 2 lane road, surrounded by fields, completely open. he floors it, i turn off my esp,drift round the corner, and we're off. I keep up with him relatively easily, but then my turbo kicks in and i pop out of his slip stream and over take him. i gave him a courtesy wave as i passed, out of respect of me schooling him. so he backs off. A couple seconds later, i hit a hundo in 4th at 4k, after hitting 6200 (200 below redline) in 3rd and then POP! i back of the gas, thinking i blew a tire but the wheel didn't jerk at all. i glide down to about 90 and then gas it a little and it shudders, the same way it did when the other one when out. so i turn of into an open parking lot and pop the hood and keep engine on. nothing out of the ordinary, except for a little hissing coming from hte rear. i think busted hose? then i see a little bit of smoke coming from the from of the engine. i think it's on fire, but then i notice its only a little tiny bit so i turn off the engine and take off the plastic thing. then i see that the smoke is coming from the front most coil, i back off a little and call my buddy to pick me up. the smoke dies down after a min or 2. i fiddle with the coil and it's a little loose, and then it just comes right out. and there's the dried gum-looking stuff on the outside. hard as rock. i look in there, and i see half a spark park, with the other half being in my hand. so basically i blew up an ignition coil and split a spark spug in half. the smoke i figured out was fuel being injected into the cylinder b/c the engine was still on. i diconnected the fuel injector, started it up, and drove home, keeping it under 3k, and have no plans to drive it in the near future. any advice you could offer on my situation would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Maybe it was the coil pack Gods looking out for the innocent people on the streets while your Half-Retarded Stupid **** Moronic *** cranks it up to a HUNDO in 4th gear.
Too bad it wasn't something more expensive to teach you a lesson. Take it to the track Speed Retard Racer.

Quick Reply: Help! My car is sputtering >.<