B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Help: Looking to buy/sell a 2002 A4 with 111,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 03:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Help: Looking to buy/sell a 2002 A4 with 111,000 miles

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/1080041019.html

I’m actually the seller, and asking these questions for the buyer. She wants to know if there are any expensive problems that I haven’t taken care of, that she may have to worry about. I’ve told her the following, and will give her a link to this thread.

“Here’s some prior issues that were taken care off:

- Coilpack issue (4 cylinder engine) when we first bought the car, Audi addressed the problem at less than 30K miles, no problems since.
- Clutch was replaced at 60K (operator error, just moved back to the Seattle area and roasted the clutch on a hill in downtown). I know better on which routes to take and which not to.
- Oil sludge issue at 100K miles. Just build up after 100K miles, was cleaned and drained. It might need it again in another 75K miles.
- Timing belt is usually the biggest concern. We weren’t sure if we were going to keep this car or not, so we just had it done at 110K miles. Should last another 100K miles.
- Check engine light comes on if the gas cap isn’t tight enough. Simply need to give it a few more clicks and it goes away. We’ve had the dealer look at it, and they can’t find anything wrong, and have the same recommendation on tightening the cap.

Like I said, I’ve had it serviced at the dealer every 10K miles, and have all the service records. If you want to pay and set-up an appointment someplace that your comfortable with to have it looked at/inspected, I’d be willing to take it.”

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:43 PM
2nd Gear

My brain is kind of confused about the exact details of this but oh well.

The car sounds good. All of the major stuff has been taken care of, and that's all you can really do if there aren't currently any problems. At this point I'd recommend changing the oil every 5k miles, but other than that it sounds like it's been well maintained and has the records to prove it.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:21 PM
1st Gear

I'm assuming the water pump was replaced with the one with the metal internals with the timing belt?

I'd be remiss if I didn't include a link to Edmunds, where she can look at TCO, estimated servicing costs for scheduled maintenance (which has been within 5 cents of every service I have had for my 2003 A4). TMV is like blue book, except what people are actually paying versus a standard "worth". It's usually a little lower than book value.

http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a4/2002/index.html

Other than that (to the buyer), the only thing I can think of is give it a good wash and take her home! You really can not ask for anything better than a well maintained Audi with receipts for maintenance, backed by a forum of Audi enthusiasts should anything go wrong. The only other thing I can think of is provide a carfax, or if someone here has an active carfax account they may be able to help you out on that.