B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Gift from heaven or headache?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:12 AM

Before you blow alot of money making it look nice, get the timing belt checked and possibly replaced along with the other items involved with the belt (water pump, etc).

It'd suck for you to get the car so cheap, pump a few grand into making it look the way you want it to only to have the belt let go and wipe out the motor again.

Sounds like to PO was not into doing the regular maintenance...I'd take it to a good garage you can trust and get all the fluids and filters (don't forget the fuel filter) changed out too. Always a good idea when purchasing a used car, but especially if they guy had trouble remembering to change the oil...you don't kow what else he forgot.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Things to check

I agree with having the fluids flushed and all the filters changed. Especially the fuel filter. Had a problem with my 05 A4 because the guy never changed the filter and lied about it. Caused my fuel pump to got due to stress. Anyways, also is the car turbo? If it is, use synthetic oil. Works better, cleans the engine nice and get really great gas mileage. 10 weight should do it and even though it is slightly more expensive, it is worth it. Also, I agree with the timing belt and water pump since they should be changed around 75,000 miles. REMEMBER- perventative maintenance costs less in the end and the car will thank you for it.

Hopes this helps.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

Oh I thought I mentioned that the timing job is being done as well. Water pump also. 2600 to rebuild the head and the timing job. The mechs specialty is engine and tranny rebuilding. Known him for years. He's checking the car from top to bottom for me. I haven't even driven it yet. lol. I did ride in it quite a bit with the PO before it died. As long as the turbo is good I think I got off pretty cheap. So I'm doing every scheduled service I can think of before I put it on the road. Just wanted to make sure i'm not missing anything. I thank all of you guys for the responses. I've been reading these forums since I began considering taking the car. After reading some of the great responses to questions asked here, I felt really good about diving into this project. Good mechanic helped too lol. Wish me luck!!!!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

Ya the previous owner is a co-worker and and great guy. He got the car from his sister in excellent condition. Before he got it she kept up with every service and kept the car in godly condition. he got it from her in Jan 09 and managed to destroy it in 8 months. Not even driving it everyday. The interior resembles a frat house after a huge party. But its a detailing away from brand new. I will take pics when i pic it up from the mechanic before i drop it off to my body shop. You will have a better idea of what I'm talking about. Everyone I've shown the car to has something to say about the PO. lol. Its still a beautiful car. Also one big question????
Whats the best gas to use in this car? I've read 92 is best. Just wondering. I'm sure the PO used 87.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

Got it back. Runs like new. The only thing is I have a rattling noise at idle. Goes away immediately after accelerating from a complete stop. I'm thinking a loose heat shield. Well hoping. I'm taking it back to the mech Monday. Other than that I washed it drove it for about 40 miles and all is well. Great power and quiet as can be. One other thing is there is a slight vibration at about 70 mph. feels like its coming from the rear end. Going to have him check that also. But any suggestions on what those two things would be great. Thanks I love this forum!!!!!!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:38 PM
4th Gear

glad to hear ur up and running.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Pa4ul. I love it . I just want to drive

Old 09-03-2009, 12:14 AM
1st Gear

Any suggestions on suspension? not looking to lower. just want the best quality springs and shocks to replace the factory stuff.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:10 PM
4th Gear

if you want practical and decent i would recommend bilstein sports or koni sports with h&r sport springs. u can go search the classifieds probably not on this site though cause not alot of stuff is for the b6 but for the b5. go here http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/

Old 09-03-2009, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

A lot of people have the RS4's...but many of 'em are fake. I have 'em on my ultra-sport (came w/ the package) and they're $625 wheels. Most people don't go chrome..right..it's not a muscle car or a rice-burner.

Quick Reply: Gift from heaven or headache?