B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Engine Gunge: Preventative step?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 12:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine Gunge: Preventative step?

I've read much about how our engines (1.8T) are prone to this if regular oil changes with fully synthetic are not adhered to. Although my engine 'seems' fine i.e. no sludge on oil cap, no warning lights and oil changes seem to show removal of black deposits as normal. I do however think my engine is 'straining'; the bottom end does have a slight rumble sound under load - I live high up and this is noticeable when climbing, oh and the car has always had this noise in the two years I have owned it. I do know that the weight of the quattro is a bad match to the 1.8 and auto box - and this could well be why it may sound strained.

I have read many members have used seafoam in their engines with varying degrees of success and some hesitation comments. I am reluctant to chase a sludge fault I may not have however, with a 2003 car there must be some crap in there I figure. I am just very reluctant to cause a blockage with loosening large deposits and get those blocking the known poorly designed oil pick-up or worse loosen carbon deposits and end up loosing compression or even worse ruining the engine.

What are your thoughts on a compromise like this?

1) After long run (very hot engine) drain oil as normal through sump plug
2) Mix seafoam with new fully synthetic oil (enough to fill bottom of oil sump)
3) Take out dipstick and pour the seafoam/oil mix directly into sump via the dipstick tube - this will ensure no seafoam gets into upper engine causing damage I am trying to avoid...
4) Leave for maybe an hour or so to allow to soak sump pan and more hopefully it will soak oil pick-up screen and loosen any sludge/deposits/crap and they will drop into the mix.
5) At no point do I intend to start the engine.
6) I drain the mix out through the sump plug and take a look at the output with interest (and take pictures for you guys of course)
7) I again pour this time just oil through the dipstick tube, allow to soak to capture anything loose left (maybe even do this a couple of times)
8) Fit a new oil filter, fill with oil, run for maybe 10 minutes and listen intently, if all is normal with no bad noises, take her for a run.
9) Drop the oil again, change the filter again, fill with fresh oil.

I guess this will cost me a couple of cans of oil, two filters, can of seafoam (which I already have but have been hesitant to use..) and a couple of hours work - but could save my engine...

What you think? Wasting my time or what?

Last edited by kjopen; 04-28-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-29-2013, 10:32 AM
1st Gear

Your being far too cautious. Sea foam is just highly refined oil, its not going to hurt anything.. Just add a bout 1/3-1/2 a can a day in advance and drive it for a day or so.. Your oil filter will catch any particulate (which isn't likely.. Do it again at your next oil change interval.. Its really not as big of a deal as it sounds like your afraid of..

Old 04-30-2013, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

ok, many thanks for the response...