B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

ECS Timing Belt kit with lightweight crank pulley.. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Default ECS Timing Belt kit with lightweight crank pulley.. Worth it?

Hey so I'm looking into ordering my timing belt kit due to the need to replace it all. I am looking at the ECS Tuning kits they have. I was wondering if there is noticable gains if you were to get the lightweight crank pulley they have in the higher kit? I have pretty much a stock 1.8tQ... Its about 120 bucks more so if its not very noticable I probably won't get it... Any advice?!...

Old 03-18-2009, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

I would stay away from this. ECS R&D is no where near where I think it should be IMO. Think of the crankshaft as a balancing act. It is almost equal on both sides, the stock crank pulley and the flywheel...I assume would weight the same (if not, then the engine was designed around the weight difference). By subtracting weight from either end would throw off the balance of the crankshaft. Think of a see-saw. I would assume the lightened crank pulley would work best accompanied with a lightweight flywheel. However heavy flywheels are good for tiny engines like ours because without it they would simply stall out when put under heavy or repetitious loads (for instance, climbing a hill, burnouts, or even stop-and-go traffic). Simply for the power gains of the LW crank pulley, not worth it.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:43 AM

Alright that makes sense. Thanks kwik shift! I just thought it would be an easy mod. I can't really afford other mods at the moment so I thought if I could sneak one in there why not! But that makes sense thanks!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:16 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by kwik_shift
I would stay away from this. ECS R&D is no where near where I think it should be IMO. Think of the crankshaft as a balancing act. It is almost equal on both sides, the stock crank pulley and the flywheel...I assume would weight the same (if not, then the engine was designed around the weight difference). By subtracting weight from either end would throw off the balance of the crankshaft. Think of a see-saw. I would assume the lightened crank pulley would work best accompanied with a lightweight flywheel. However heavy flywheels are good for tiny engines like ours because without it they would simply stall out when put under heavy or repetitious loads (for instance, climbing a hill, burnouts, or even stop-and-go traffic). Simply for the power gains of the LW crank pulley, not worth it.
Right on bro. It may and may not help. But for the amount of power that you MAY gain outweighs the damage it may apply to your engine over a prolonged time. Save your money and get chipped OP. Only way you'll get the best bang for your buck