B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Eclipse 5500 in-dash navi w/ipod interface

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:25 AM
1st Gear

thanks for the response... that helps a lot. i think i am gonna get the avic f90bt soon (less than 30 days). I'll post pics once it is done, unless anyone has some pics to show.

Kwik, I'm interested in seeing your alpine if you have the time to post pics... are you happy with it?

Old 12-19-2008, 12:32 PM
3rd Gear

The Eclipse 5500 dissapointed a lot of people because its out-dated navigation software, poor DVD quality, awful ipod controls and non-qwerty keyboard set up. Sound quality is superb though. I hope youre getting this unit for under $500.00 since its a 2006 model and been discontinued for a while now. Avic-D3 is a great unit besides the navi-dvd set up. Other wise its the HU most Audi owners go for. I got the F90-BT and gotta say its the best head unit for the $ right now. Yes any Bluetooth capable phone works with it. I've had my Sidekick and G1 to it and it works great. Crystal clear audio. The Ipod controls mimick those on your device. I have m.y touch in the glove box compartment and never taken it out since its what i use most often. The video resolution is excellent and makes up for its smaller size. I watch plenty of Family Guy and South Park episodes when I got spare time in the car. I honestly havent even found all the features in the unit but its fast and easy to use. Navigation is second to none. Almost identical to Garmin's. No i dont have any pics online for the install but besides the glossy face ts looks as close to stock as can be.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 PM
1st Gear

damn that sounds good, yea im only getting the eclipse for like $200, but if it wasnt that cheap then i would go for the F90BT as well

Old 12-19-2008, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the info euro... i don't trust myself installing without professional help, so i will probably drop the extra $$ and get Best Buy to install for me. Just a pic of the installed unit would be cool if you have time... Could you go into a little detail about equipping/unlocking the bypass?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:04 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by noahjb
thanks for the info euro... i don't trust myself installing without professional help, so i will probably drop the extra $$ and get Best Buy to install for me. Just a pic of the installed unit would be cool if you have time... Could you go into a little detail about equipping/unlocking the bypass?
Quite honestly I got it installed as well. My audio shop chaged me $50 so it was worth the trouble since I didnt want to knock into my speed sensor, gps, amps and all that. I would go to an independent audio shop instead of Best Buy. I've never liked those clowns. I havent done the bypass and probly not gonna. Scrolling through songs is enough of a distraction and looking at Family Guy while driving on the highway is begging for an accident. Many have done it easily though, check out www.avic411.com . These guys got all the software/hardware info you want if you go with this unit.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

I'll post some pics if I can. So far I'm happy with. It fits nice and looks oem+, it has a nice full screen w/only buttons on the bottom. The touch screen is pretty accurate so I can't complain. Only downside is no navi, but I usually stay local. Bypassing it was a simple cut, splice and a switch.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:54 PM
1st Gear

yeah i want one that has nav... so i guess i will stick with Avicf90bt. Still would like to see pics of your setup though if you get a chance.

Euro, i'll have to look into independent shops for installing. $50 is nothing. i was expecting at least $200 for installation.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:40 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by noahjb
yeah i want one that has nav... so i guess i will stick with Avicf90bt. Still would like to see pics of your setup though if you get a chance.

Euro, i'll have to look into independent shops for installing. $50 is nothing. i was expecting at least $200 for installation.

There is a Blackbird nav option for the Alpine unit. Its an external add-on that displays through the unit's screen. I got the $50 charge because the owner hooks me up since me and my bro have poured money into that shop and referred a lot of clientale. I think most places would charge around $150 for a fully functioning navi with wired sub amps, etc.