B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

DRL wiring question + LED strip question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:02 PM
1st Gear
Question DRL wiring question + LED strip question

Hey so I want to mount the strips in the headlight housing and so I will need to remove the lens. Any easy way or pointers on how to do that?

This is the strip I am thinking of getting...
LED WHITE 2X 24" SIDE SHINE HEAD LIGHT STRIP DRL **m#w8 | eBay

Or this one (probably this one)

Flexible LED Strips

Any better strips out there that are not much more? (this is a budget mod)

Now the real question....I want to put them on an independent switch next to the headlight **** so I can have them on or off when I want. Now for the power...I want to hook it up to something that has power when the car is unlocked/alarm disarmed.

i.e. switch is on, car is locked/alarm armed, LED strip is off, Unlock/disarm car and they turn on.

What power source can I tap into to get that ability?

Anyone try this? I would love to do this and anyone who has any input I will greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:14 PM
4th Gear

best way to splice open your headlights is throwing them into the oven. As for wiring. Should be to hard. if u plan on running a switch why do u need to tap into a power source? But if u want to tap into power my amp is tapped into the garage door opener. No power when key is off but anytime key is in ignition i receive power.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

Well because I want to be able to turn them on and off when I want (not always on)

I also want to be able to have them in on position and hooked to a power source that kills when the alarm is armed.

I want the strip to turn on when I unlock the car (as long as the switch is on)

Do you follow?

EDIT.....when your cars map/Dome lights are on, and you lock/set alarm on your car, they turn off automatically and when you unlock it they are back on. I want that same feature so that in the even I forget to turn the DRL switch off, it turns off automatically and I don't drain my battery

Last edited by freeloader700; 03-23-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:17 PM
4th Gear

I would just tap into the light under your feet. Run the wire thru the firewall and out to the headlights. I did that in my trunk with strip leds and my light would fade on and off like the way the lights do inside.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:42 AM
1st Gear

Can I power both strips from on side or should I wire each strip to its side?

I am planning on using a wire tap for POS/NEG and the hooking up a rocker switch to that dead space just to the right of the headlight switch. Drill a hole and put a matte black round rocker switch.

Do you have a wiring diagram I can reference for what I am planning on doing?

and what is that dead space next to the headlight switch?

Old 03-28-2012, 01:17 PM
4th Gear

i belive the dead space it ment for a switch that some audis came equipped with coming home feature. That little cover should pop out if im not mistaken. As for a wiring diagram i dont have one sorry. And i would say u could hook them up via one light. Might have to up the fuse also for the interior.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

Okay so I tried it there but as soon as I shut my door the DRLs shut off. SO that souce isn't going to work.

What I am thinking now is connect it to the map lights but I don't want to take that all apart if its going to be a pain.....I want the effect that they have for my DRLs.

You know when you leave the light on and the lock the car and they go off and come back on when its unlocked? thats what I want ( I guess like a coming home idea)

So is there any other source that'll do that other than the map/dome lights? and I want it on a switch so that I can keep it from coming on at all.

(sorry if I am confusing you)

Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 PM
4th Gear

hmm as far as i know no. Im surpised that it didnt work for you. I spliced into my trunk light and acheived what you are looking for. The lights would fade on and off with the trunk light. and actually opening up the dome housing it very simple. Pull of the clear plastic covering the lights. There should be two philips screws that you undo and the whole housing pops down. Granted you will have to undo two maybe three connectors but it takes about 5 minutes tops to get it off. and plus there is already a spot for ground and power. I think if you search hardwire radar dector something should come up.