B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

DDMTUNING HID Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:34 PM
1st Gear
Default ESP error light

Originally Posted by BlackRingedB6
So I just spoke with DDM tech support and he told me that it is most likely EMF from the ballast and to try to options 1Move the ballast and see if it fallows or 2. Wrap the ballast in foil to block the EMF that the ballast is emitting. Ill try both and post an update...
On Saturday I installed DDMTuning kits for both my lows and fogs. I used the 8000K for the lows and 6000K for the fogs. I accidentally forgot to put the error code eliminator on one of the lows. Everything was fine, no error codes until Sunday night and then I started getting the ESP warning light. The light does not come on consistently, and will not come on if I turn the lights on before I start the car. I am going to put the error eliminator in tonight. Hopefully this will take care of the ESP error. I will post an update after I have given it a day installed to see if it has helped.

Does anyone know if the ballast and error eliminators for the fogs need to be encased in anything to eliminate contact with water?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Smemc5
On Saturday I installed DDMTuning kits for both my lows and fogs. I used the 8000K for the lows and 6000K for the fogs. I accidentally forgot to put the error code eliminator on one of the lows. Everything was fine, no error codes until Sunday night and then I started getting the ESP warning light. The light does not come on consistently, and will not come on if I turn the lights on before I start the car. I am going to put the error eliminator in tonight. Hopefully this will take care of the ESP error. I will post an update after I have given it a day installed to see if it has helped.

Does anyone know if the ballast and error eliminators for the fogs need to be encased in anything to eliminate contact with water?
As far as the ECE goes it is only for a bulb out error not the ESP light or any ABS lights. This is straight from a DDM tech.

But for an update I still have had no issues with any of the same ESP, ABS, TC, or flashing Brake light since I wrapped the driver side ballast in foil and it has been 5 days.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Error codes

Originally Posted by BlackRingedB6
As far as the ECE goes it is only for a bulb out error not the ESP light or any ABS lights. This is straight from a DDM tech.

But for an update I still have had no issues with any of the same ESP, ABS, TC, or flashing Brake light since I wrapped the driver side ballast in foil and it has been 5 days.
Thanks for the update. I am still getting the ESP error, as well as the abs. I will try wrapping the ballast with foil.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:58 PM
1st Gear

According to ddmtuning did you need to wrap the fog light ballast with foil as well? Just wondering since they are pretty close.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

I am in the same boat, just installed my HID kit with the ballast in the OE location. Dash lit up like a christmas tree for the first cycle of the key. Once I cycled the key a second time I only had the ESP light. I am going to try the foil method tomorrow after work and hope that does the trick.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Smemc5
According to ddmtuning did you need to wrap the fog light ballast with foil as well? Just wondering since they are pretty close.
Nope the fogs dont seem to throw the codes. But they do draw to much power from the factory wiring so I have to turn them off then on again once the headlights are "warmed up" so I got some pics online and am going ot build my own wiring harness. Shouldnt be a tiny project compared to the wiring harness that I just finished for my scout II.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

I just did this install on my friends 2002 A4 and his dash lit up like a christmas tree. I wrapped the driver side ballast only with foil as you guys mentioned. And it cured all of the error codes and dash lights.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

never got around to wrapping the ballast in foil, but I flipped on my lights after my car was running and it did not trip the traction control light. I have done this several times since, and still no traction control light

Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

This seems to be a ghost issue...... The other day I started my car and the dash lit up (??? scratching my head in confusion) I turned the car off. I turned the headlights on and gave them time to warm up before I turned the car on and no issues. Later after the bulbs cooled off I turned the car on waited a 30 seconds or so and turned on the headlights and no dash xmas tree. Seems to only be an issue when the car is first turned on and the HL are turned on... Maybe the ballast interferes with the communication between the ABS module and the ECU.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

1st Gear