B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

CVT any happy high milers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Default CVT any happy high milers?

Hi Guys,
I bought an 04 2.5tdi CVT and then looked into CVT and found it worrying how many people are having trouble with this transmission, can anyone reassure me? Got 60k on the clock, so is failure imminent? some people say the 7 plate clutch is better than 5 plate, which would I have?

If you have a B6 with CVT and its done 60k+ miles without issue can you let me know? Most people only post if they got issues with it, so getting a very biased viewpoint.

Any help, suggestions welcome!

W

Old 05-10-2008, 05:00 PM
SrK
1st Gear
Default RE: CVT any happy high milers?

Well, I don't think many of the CVT owners get onto these forums anyway but I had my CVT replaced at around 60K and no problems after that yet. I am at 108K now and I am chipped....

Old 05-11-2008, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

I bought my B6 CVT at 44K miles and I just hit the 60K mile mark. No transmission related problems so far...

Old 05-12-2008, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

I just bought a 2001 A4 2.0 (UK modell) 58K in it, and I noticed some jerking when it's shifts, but only at slow acceleration, when I push it hard it's smooth, also no problem in Tiptonic mode. The dealer said, nothing wrong with it, that's how they are. Are they telling me the truth ? Is yours the same ? Do I have a screwd up gearbox ?

Old 05-12-2008, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

Mine does the same thing, but usually when the engine is cold. Is this the expected behavior of a CVT?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:15 AM
1st Gear

Start saving.... mine lasted to 132ks then the trans selection went. The car is now worth $13,000 and the quoted repair bill is $5400. The part they replace is the Control module being a servo of computers relays and actuating systems bolted to the rear of the trans. Once replaced it then has to be given the right software bootto work properly. My trans works fine for 10 minutes then the lights go off on the dash and manual select stops. It drives as normal unless I select reverse which doesnt work until I go from N to R and P several times then all lights flash but reverse works. I then stop engine put in Park start again and everything works again.!!!

I'll have to trade in soon.

I was stupid... you dont have to be brave

Paul

Old 05-13-2008, 04:04 AM

82k miles? thats pretty good from what I am reading. Did Audi not step in the help with the cost? How old is your car?

Well mine is not jerking, but it does differ from the CVT's I've seen on you tube, it behaves more like a traditional auto if floored, (it seems to step slightly) but like a CVT when driven normally, gently, IE revs stay around 2000 but velocity increases no stepping. There is a you tube video of an A4 2.5tdi CVT where the revs go to just under the red line and stay there while the car speeds up, mine doesn't do this, I know people were unhappy about the engine noise in this scenario, so maybe Audi did a software updateto reduce engine noise, and mine has had the upgrade.

The *only* thing I can find wrong with it, is occasionily you can hear and feel a small slip when it first engages from creep mode into 1st, but this is probably to be expected.

Unfortunately I don't have any receipts for work carried out in the past, it has Audi FSH and warrented miles though. Lots of maybe and don't knows, I guess the only way to find out is when its service comes up in about 3k ask Audi to check what its got.

Wayne
PS I'm in the UK and have a UK model.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:16 AM
1st Gear

Wand106 Check out this link for a more positive outlook on Audi's. (Though most of these cars are Quattro)
https://www.audiforums.com/m_871412/tm.htm
We all love our Audi cars. Hopefully we all get better Audi service and support.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:25 PM

thanks for that aragorn65 I saw that post, and I guess for every 10 unhappy audi owners (because of breakdown cost of repairs etc) there are50,60 - 100happy ones.....

Regarding the CVT, I found out how you get it to goto fixed revs like the you tube video,
Here:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra35lMEeuDY

Floor it and make sure the kickdown switch is also pressed and keep it there! obvious I guess, I don't often drive it like this, but nice to know its there!

W

Old 05-19-2008, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

I have 68k on my car (bought it new in '03) and no problems with the CVT.

Quick Reply: CVT any happy high milers?