B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Coolant level low after timing belt service

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:15 PM
4th Gear

our cars can only have g12 coolant
Not true.. while you prolly dont wanna mix types, you can use other coolants.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

The coolant was pink before. I took the car back to him and told him about the coolant being low and he topped it off with Prestone 50/50. If he changed the timing belt, would he have had to flush the system of coolant?

After poking around some more I saw some pink and a little wetness where a hose connects to the radiator near the bottom of the radiator on the driver side. It's at the point where the hose attaches to the radiator, it's sealed all the way around and then on the left side there's a small line of pink visible. I'll post a picture as soon as I get home and hopefully you guys can tell me if this is normal.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Certified

you can use green or red coolant...

you can add red to green...

but NOT add green to red....

optimal situation, you want to have Audi/VW G12 equivalent....

Old 01-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Certified

red or pink, i'm colored blind..... lol

Old 01-21-2010, 07:50 PM
3rd Gear

Do not use prestone coolant, although some say is alright to use only one kind it can cause thermostat sticking or water pump failure at an early age. You need to flush it and use G12 and G12 only.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:38 AM
1st Gear

As promised, here are the pics of what I think may be a leak from the lower driver side hose connecting to my radiator. Please tell me if you think this is normal or if this is indeed a leak. Unfortunately my something's wrong with my camera and these are the best shots I could get.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant level low after timing belt service-2.jpg   Coolant level low after timing belt service-1.jpg  

Last edited by 3dviz; 01-22-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear

If you just did the T-belt is going to smell like that for about a week, anything other than than is definetly a leak. Keep an eye on it before it gets any bigger.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:31 PM
1st Gear

Went back to the dealer today, showed him the area of concern, he informed me that it was a seal they put on for lubrication when they attach the hose. I opened my eyes wide with embarrassment. I figured it was leaking coolant because it was always moist there, and it was pink coolant color. But apparently their seal is also pink just like coolant! He showed me the seal they use in its jar. Oh well, I think being overly cautious with my new vehicle is what's gonna keep it goin strong.

The coolant level was still a tad below the min level which I was concerned about so I asked him to add a little. Now I have a new concern. He filled the reservoir tank to the brim, I thought he was just going to fill it up to the max line, and he used a different coolant than he did before. This time he used some coolant that said Mercedes Benz on it instead of the Prestone 50/50 he used before. Do you guys think I should be concerned and rush out to get a flush?

Old 01-22-2010, 08:23 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 3dviz
Went back to the dealer today, showed him the area of concern, he informed me that it was a seal they put on for lubrication when they attach the hose. I opened my eyes wide with embarrassment. I figured it was leaking coolant because it was always moist there, and it was pink coolant color. But apparently their seal is also pink just like coolant! He showed me the seal they use in its jar. Oh well, I think being overly cautious with my new vehicle is what's gonna keep it goin strong.
That's right!

The coolant level was still a tad below the min level which I was concerned about so I asked him to add a little. Now I have a new concern. He filled the reservoir tank to the brim, I thought he was just going to fill it up to the max line, and he used a different coolant than he did before. This time he used some coolant that said Mercedes Benz on it instead of the Prestone 50/50 he used before. Do you guys think I should be concerned and rush out to get a flush?
I wouldn't rush it righ out but eventually I would drain it and put G12 in there, just because that's what should be in there.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Tech Certified

why was your lower radiator hose removed to do a timing belt in the first place.....?

Someone didn't know what they were doing...

Quick Reply: Coolant level low after timing belt service