B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Car Originally Stuck in Park, Now PRND illuminated at all times

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Default Car Originally Stuck in Park, Now PRND illuminated at all times

Hi all, new to forum. I have a 2004 audi a4 1.8t quattro. It has the Tiptronic transmission.

A few months ago my car was stuck in park. After several attempts it popped out of park but now the PRND light stays on, I guess it's in fail safe mode. I tried to reset the adaptive driving recently and it worked until I stopped and got out of the car and turned it off.

There seems to be no problem with slipping or going into reverse or anything of that nature. Instead, I have noticed since this happened that my gas mileage sucks.

Any hints of where to start with simple fixes I can do myself. I really don't want to pay thousands of dollars to fix this problem if I can avoid it.

Thanks for your help!

Scott

Old 01-18-2009, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

Hey Scott, this happened to me about 1 week ago (Jan 6, 2009). I have a 2004 Audi A4 1.8T (automatic), I bought it in April of 2008 with only 19,000 miles now it has 33,000 miles. About a few months after I bought it I noticed that when I accelerated around corners or coming to a stop after driving I would notice the RPMs would drop below 800 RPMs and begin to stall and sometimes even die on me. Another thing was that during acceleration as the car changed gears it would occassionaly "buck" on me into the next gear.

I immediately took my car to Audi and transmission repair shops and they didnt know what was wrong as they couldnt pull any codes. Well on Jan 5, 2009 I was to attend some training that the Marine Corps wanted me to do about 170 miles away in Fort Lee, VA. The car had no problems, until I attempted to accelerate around a corner at around 25-30 MPH and I felt the car "buck" as I arrived to my destination everything was ok. Well, when my class was over and I tried to put the car in reverse it would not move, when I put the car in drive it wouldn't do anything. Well my friend and I tried to push the car back into a different parking space and I told him to shift from neutral to reverse and we heard a loud metallic pop(this sound was later explained to me as a safe reset to the transmission).

I took it to a reputable Audi repair shop in Glen Allen, VA called "CULLOPS". The had the car for a few days and told me a few interesting things. 1. There were NO leaks in the transmission. 2. The transmission fluid was low by two (2) quarts. 3. He managed to properly fasten my cold air intake.(Which improved my car's performance drastically). The mechanic flushed out my transmission and topped me off(again there was no leakage in the transmission, so he could not explain the shortage of fluid).

Scott, my car has never performed better after the mechanic topped off and fixed my cold air intake. He only charged me $129 for all this Long story but I feel your pain. I honestly recommend that you go to a reputable Audi repair shop or if you have the dinero go to an Audi dealership and have your transmission flushed and topped off with a new filter, see if this works first. I was actually thinking of going to an Audi dealership but I was recommended to Cullops and saved major money. Once again my bad for the long story but perhaps you may have had similar symptoms like I experienced. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by Marine702; 01-18-2009 at 09:53 PM.