B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Is Car Mechanic Ripping me OFF??? I THINK SO...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 06:04 AM
1st Gear
Default Is Car Mechanic Ripping me OFF??? I THINK SO...

I have a 2004 Audi A4 3.0L Quattro Avant that I bought in Nov 2011. I have all the previous service records from the last owner. My wife drives this car and she is not aggressive at all. The previous owner was though. I live in Southern California.

I had a coolant leak fixed today and the mechanic told me I also need this:

1. Replaces Rear Brake Pads AND Rotors - I agree on the pads cuz i can see they're almost gone. The pads and rotors were changed only 2.5 years ago (22000 miles ago). Would rotors wear down to the minimum after just 22000 miles? The previous owner drove the car only 7000 miles before selling to us since he did that break job. Seems it wouldn't wear down that fast! All OEM parts were used.

2. 35000 miles ago he had the 4 upper control arms and 2 tie rod ends replaced. I heard a clicking noise when steering, so today the mechanic told me i need to change both lower control arms and all 4 upper control arms. Would they wear out THAT fast, after just 35000 miles? An Audi mechanic i went to yesterday to get a quote on the coolant repair told me I need tied rod ends and sway bar end links.

So i'm weary about the mechanic today especially being that he said i need new rotors and it's only been 22000 miles. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 09-14-2013, 07:40 AM
2nd Gear

You will have to measure the thickness of your rotors with a digital caliper if you're concerned that they don't need to be changed yet. You could have them resurfaced for a reasonable price, however Audi recommended new rotors with new pads. Never one or the other if I recall correctly.

Although they have been on for 22,000 miles, it really depends on how much force has been applied to them over those 22,000 miles. I wouldn't be alarmed at 22,000 miles having to change rotors as well as pads. If you're doing a lot of stop and go driving, I would say that's pretty normal.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:31 PM
4th Gear

wait a minute what? Change rotors with pads everytime? LEt me see ive had my car all of 167,000 miles. Not once have i ever changed a rotor nor had one warp on me in anyway shape or form. ....... Did i mention im still on stock control arms tie rods end links...... oo and for aggresion. I am lowered.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:40 PM
Tech Certified

I would ask for picture of what the bushings look like, Then post them here.

Clicking noises can come from anywhere. It was even common for the steering rack bolts to come loose.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, I haven't changed my BMW rotors in 10 years and they're perfectly fine. I figured that was a bogus call, my wife doesn't even know how to drive aggressively and she just drives to work and back and to church. New rotors after 22000 miles is b.s., especially them being OEM rotors. The pads are worn out though, they're the Textar that produce a ton of brake dust, so probably not the longest lasting pads.

The control arm thing i don't believe either. Changing them after just 35000 miles? I live in Southern California too, so the car doesn't see salt and sand etc.

Not going to this mechanic in the future for anything...

Old 09-17-2013, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

clicking is normally CV joints that you can hear at low speeds while turning. I had to do mine at 165k miles.

Control arms should not be going bad unless there is something else in the suspension causing the failure. You said previous owner was rough on it. I would take to a solid independant Audi/VW mechanic for a good inspection. Maybe he will find something else wrong that causing other wear. maybe lowered previously or some other part the previous owner removed before selling to you.

I have read that they say to do both pads and rotors together so they seat together properly and will both last longer as a unit. I know, I don't agree either, but I'm in the process of upgrading to slotted rotors so I am doing all together. If you can wrench yourself at all I really like the kits from Blauparts. Everything included and very exacting directions.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Tech Certified

Audi has had a huge problem with premature wear and tear on upper control bushing for aslong as i can remember. The only reason i can think they would need to be done again so soon is because they were installed wrong. They also have to be torqued in the loaded position.

We always replace pads and rotors together because our rotors always develope a serious lip on the outter edge and audi doesn't allow dealerships to turn or machine them. There is too much liability for the dealer. I mean imagine a tech would makes a mistake and takes too much material off to smooth it out, now the dealer is buying the rotors out of their pockets, or in worse case senario. Too much material is machined and the tech no has common sense or no soul and puts them back on the car anyways and an accident happens because the car doesn't brake the way the owner is used to. Bad ju ju for all.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies. When I was getting quotes for my coolant leak, one audi mechanic (he was the owner of the shop) put on the quote sheet that he recommends tie rod ends to be replaced and sway bar links. I guess he heard the clicking when he drove the car into his garage. I think replacing those is FAR from replacing all 4 lower control arms and 2 upper control arms.

The thing that gets me is that this mechanic changed all 4 lower control arms, just 35000 miles ago. The previous owner was just a lead foot, he babied the car though. I think the mechanic is just trying to rip me off. $1500 for that? man. And...the rotors...my wife is an asian driver that doesn't even know how to drive aggressive and 75% of her driving is on the freeway, and it's only been 22000 miles since the rotors were changed. I highly doubt they need to be changed. I just bought pads, and I'll go to my friends place do change the pads out.

I'll try and get the clicking noise looked at again though...i'm kind of curious about that...

Old 09-18-2013, 01:05 PM
4th Gear

have u checked the axle boot to see if it has a tear in it?

Old 09-18-2013, 01:32 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by pa4ul
wait a minute what? Change rotors with pads everytime? LEt me see ive had my car all of 167,000 miles. Not once have i ever changed a rotor nor had one warp on me in anyway shape or form. ....... Did i mention im still on stock control arms tie rods end links...... oo and for aggresion. I am lowered.
I was just providing information as to why an Audi dealer may recommend doing both pads and rotors at the same time. Common sense dictates that for us who do the work ourselves can probably get by with doing a pad swap, or just getting the original ones re-surfaced.