B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Brake sound/grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Brake sound/grinding noise

Ok, I've got a 2005 A4 1.8T Fwd with two issues.

The first issue is a problem with the left rear brake caliper. And low speeds, there is a grinding sound [sounds more like a wheel rubbing against a fender type sound, not a pad on rotor sound]. I had my brother drive the car slowly while i walked along side and the sound is indeed comming from the caliper. It seems that the left side is alot noiser than the right, and the seems to be pumping harder than the right side. It also seems like it is not releasing all the way, like its dragging. Tomrrow after work I will take the caliper off and see if anything has been grinding away.

The second issue, is at higher speeds there is a grinding/low rumble noise comming from the front end. My thought is that it is cv joints. It does not do it while turning, only in a strait line with speeds over 20mph. Is there a way to tell with CV joints if they are bad without removing them? I've always owned RWD GM Cars never with a cv joint.

Thanks1

Old 02-18-2011, 10:58 AM
3rd Gear

Check the emergency brake cable. My right rear "stuck" about 250 miles into a 2k mile trip and chewed up the rear rotor. Had to replace both e-brake cables, as well as doing all four rotors and pads.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:19 AM
1st Gear

I had a similar sound and it was not the brake at all...it was the power steering pump. I had an empty reservoir and the steering rack had to be replaced. Check that...

Old 04-24-2011, 02:33 AM
1st Gear

c.v. shafts are noticable when your turning unless the inner boots torn where it clamps on which is what im dealing with now but it could also be a bearing not sure havent replaced boot yet or the problem at low speeds showing up again or the cvt with them 6 or 7 reoccuring problems with the six clutch pack sys

Old 04-24-2011, 02:39 AM
1st Gear

since you have fwd front wheel drive not quattro you can jack the front end up first visually inspect c.v. boots cuz they go fast with a big bump or two then make sure both wheels are off the ground chalk backwheels accelerate then turn the wheel and accelerater then turn it the opposite way when its strait bearing if turned outside c.v. joint seems premature for wheel bearing so i would make sure you dont have a torn inside boot thats been colleting dirt

Old 04-24-2011, 11:51 AM
3rd Gear

Might be your bearing on the spindle, that's why it doesn't do it while turning, if it were the axle it would start making a claking sound at one point while turning. like they mentioned before just get under the car and grab a hold of the axle and give it a good tug back and forth to see if it moves. For the noise on your caliper, it could be the brake or it could just be dirty; give it a good wash with brake cleaner and rinse it thoroughly, if the problem persists then is probably the the handbrake.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:10 AM
1st Gear

Rumble sound good be wheel bearing. Jack up your car and grab the tire at the top and bottom and try to rock it. There shouldnt be any movement. Excessive movement may mean that the wheel bearing is worn. You can also put the car in neutral and rotate the wheel and listen/feel for roughness. Make sure your e-brake is on and you have something in front and behind your rear wheels before your put it in neutral.