B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

B6 Tranny slop!!! Can't find issue!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:50 PM
1st Gear
Default B6 Tranny slop!!! Can't find issue!!

I have recently notice this issue with my 2004 Audi A4 Quattro. It's a stock B6 with 70k miles on it.....Auto tiptronic tranny. No chip and no mods. Very original.

When cold there are no issues with the transmission and everything is normal and tight. No symptoms are felt.

After driving for like 5 mins this is what I notice.

When driving in D and press the accelerator it upshifts smoothly and changes to 2-3-4 and 5 without any jerk if constant. Then when driving slowly or in heavy traffic, if I let off the accelerator I get a slop (empty space) when in 2, 3 and a little on 4. Jerk is not between gear changes but in one of the gears. I have confirmed this by using the tiptronic and keeping at 2 only or 3 only. It's more prominent on 2 and less on 4. When I tap and let go I can feel the driveline slop.

Also when it is warm/hot and I park the car and hold the brake pedal and also shift from R-N-D-N-R I can feel like a 'thud' or light 'clunk' coming from under the car with a light jerk. All this happens when the car is warm/hot only. No codes have turned up.

I know the suspects are :

1: Tranny mount
2: Engine mount
3: Reaf diff mount
4: Engine Snub mount
...or could be something else....???

I got the Audi/VW mechanic to check the mount and he said they are all fine. My car is stock with no mods. All parts are original..

Does anyone have any suggestions? I doubt it is my tranny cos it shifts well. I just got the rear diff fluid changed and will be changing the tranny fluid next weekend.

Has anyone has this before?

Help!

Old 10-26-2011, 01:55 AM
1st Gear

I own a 2004 A6 4.2 Quattro. 94k miles. I just began to experience the exact same. Except for the constant gear experiment. A plain ol mechanic lifted the car and showed me some slop/movement on the axle which comes out of the rear of the transmission. There is a smaller sealed section of transmission behind the main body that the drive shaft connect inside. We hear and feel a wobble or slop when shaken by hand. Apparently a good tranny shop can rebuild that small section. "Probably"