B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

b6 tie rod end question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:08 AM
1st Gear
Default b6 tie rod end question

Hey guys,

For about the past month I've been having trouble with rattling iny front suspension.
Upon inspection I found that I was in need of some new control arms so I order a kit off ECS and got to work. This fixed my rattling/thumping problem for about a week. So this morning I pulled my drivers side front wheel off and started inspecting the wheel bearing and hub assembly. All was good as far as I could tell but when I grabbed the tie rod end and checked it for movement this is what I found.(see vid link)

I was just wondering if this is right? There's no actual play in the rod end it just seems like something is just not right with it.

Thanks to anyone who helps

Link to vid.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKFFuCpnmj8

Last edited by audia4x4; 01-16-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:01 PM
2nd Gear

The link didn't work for me, can you fix it?

Btw, a rattle up front can be a whole lot of things, tie rod ends or assemblies being just one possibility. If I may ask, why didn't you just replace the tie rod assemblies while you have everything taken apart for the control arm job?

The test for tie rod ends is to jack up the front end, and while grabbing the each tire at 3:00 and 9:00, wiggle. If there's no play, the TRE should be fine. If there is play, time to replace.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

Fixed the link...let me know if its still not working on your end.
I didn't have the chance to get tie rod ends when I ordered the control arm kit cause ecs had them on backorder,and my inspection was coming up.

I did test out the tie rod with the wheel trick and everything seems fine that's why I'm not sure if it could still be bad or not.

You should be able to see the vid now and see what I'm talking about as its very hard to explain without seeing it.

Thanks for the reply

Old 01-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Certified

That is normal play. Nice job of the video... Made it easy.

When the tie rod goes bad that joint will pop when you move it up and down. There is supposed to be movement side to side