B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

B6 Central Locking Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Default B6 Central Locking Pump

I'm having problems with the locks and alarm on my 05' 1.8t. I've looked at a lot of forums already and have seen that the Central Locking Pump can often times be the problem. My problem is that all of the posts that I have seen on this issue are on B5's or older. They all say that the pump is located in the trunk on the passenger side in the quarter panel. When I took my trunk apart today I only found the alarm (which I disconnected because it just keeps going off whenever it wants too), but I didn't find the central locking pump. If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:05 PM
3rd Gear

We do not have a central locking pump on our B6, the B5 did. What are your symptoms?

Old 01-24-2010, 08:29 PM

That's what I was thinking, but just wanted to double check. Its kind of a long winded story, but I figure I'll give it all to you to try and help nail down the problem. My battery died unexpectedly on Christmas day. I had it jumped started and drove around for awhile, when I got home I turned the car off and when I tried to restart it a little while later it was dead again. I got a new battery the next day and everything was fine for a few days until I went on a trip for 3 weeks. I let my mom borrow my car while I was gone, she didn't use the car right away and when she went to use it about four days later she said the key fob didn't work and she had to use the key to get in, it was completely dead and wouldn't take a jump. I got home a few days ago and had the same problem of the car not taking a jump I took the battery back to O'Riely auto parts and got a brand new battery. I put the new battery in and immediately the alarm started going off as well as the flashers. I went to put the key in the ignition to shut the alarm off and nothing happened. I started the car and drove around my neighborhood, all the while the alarm and flashers going on and off without me being able to do anything about it. Right now I have the battery unconnected so I don't kill another battery over night and have the alarm disconnected so that it won't go off while I'm driving. The flashers however still have a mind of their own and go on anytime I start the car, open a door, etc. So that's the whole story, hopefully all the details will help zero in on the problem, if not, sorry for the long winded post.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 01-25-2010, 09:11 AM
3rd Gear

The flashers are going to do that everytime you put a new battery in, is the alarm. Seems like you have a charging problem. Alternator to be exact. Try to remove it and have it checked by your local auto store.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:04 AM

I'll have the alternator checked, but it just doesn't make sense to me that it would be just the alternator. I have disconnected the battery before when doing other work on my car and never had this problem. That being being said each time before all I had to do to reset the key fob was put the key in the ignition and start the car. This hasn't done anything for me this time and the flashers (and alarm if it were connected) will go off all day long until it drains the battery while the car isn't running. When this first started I had planned on having the alternator checked and definitely will now. I guess my new question is, could the alternator being bad continue to make the alarm go off long after I have put a new battery in the car and make it impossible for me to use my key fob either to unlock the car or to stop the alarm (it just doesn't make sense to me)?

Old 01-25-2010, 07:36 PM
3rd Gear

Yes, the alternator not charging causes your battery to power all your electronics thus draining it rapidly. EVERYTIME you put a new battery in the car the alarm will go off and the flashers and you will have to reset your fob.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:19 PM

Okay, thank you for all the help and I'll let you know how it all works out when I get a chance to work on it this week.