B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

b6 a4 Another timing belt question.. searched forums couldnt find answer.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 02:33 AM
1st Gear
Red face b6 a4 Another timing belt question.. searched forums couldnt find answer.

New to the forums but have been a longtime lurker.
thanks to some amazing DIY's have avoided any dealership fees.

Back to my problem though. i purchased the ecs tuning timing belt kit.
i was following the DIY timing belt tutorial here. everything was going smooth until the Following happen.
I made sure it was top dead center on my cam gear, before i removed the belt and tensioner all was going well until i realized there was a tdc mark for the Crank gear. i did however put a silver sharpie mark on the Crank gear while the timing belt was on and Cam gear read tdc.
so i thought i would go by my marks for the Crank gear. everything was good until i had everything tensioned and cranked it a Full Crank gear revolution.
The Cam gear read tdc so i check my mark on the Crank gear and it was a 1/2 a tooth to the right, Past my mark on the Block.

MY QUESTIONS ARE.

1. Cant i just take of the belt + tensioner off and start over but before i put the Belt back on. Turn the Crank gear Counter-clockwise to adjust or compensate for the tension on the belt that is going to move the Crank gear clock-wise 1/2 a tooth. so too fully compensate i was going to turn the Crank gear counter-clockwise 1 tooth where it would be 1/2 a tooth to the left of my mark. Thinking when i tension the belt it will move the Crank gear over 1/2 a tooth..
SOUND GOOD?

2. this one is not a big deal but i thinkim going too double Check with you guys. I didnt mark the front Crank pully. the one that goes on accessory belt but i asssume if the Cam gear+crank gear is tdc. I can just match the crank pully Up to the lower timing belt cover that has an indication on where to put it.

Last edited by e3ment444; 12-24-2013 at 02:38 AM. Reason: mis-spelling hehe
Old 12-24-2013, 07:01 AM
1st Gear

if you take the tensioner off, you will need a vice to compress it and put the pin back in. and you should turn it counter clockwise half a tooth off(~3*) and reinstall.

the crank pulley can only go on one way there is a notch on the crank and a pin hole in the pulley.

also to verify that the bottom end is TDC, if you look on the passenger side of the motor to the right of the oil filter, youl see a hole next to the trans housing. there is a tdc mark on the flywheel and engine block there as well.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tofast2belast
if you take the tensioner off, you will need a vice to compress it and put the pin back in. and you should turn it counter clockwise half a tooth off(~3*) and reinstall.

the crank pulley can only go on one way there is a notch on the crank and a pin hole in the pulley.

also to verify that the bottom end is TDC, if you look on the passenger side of the motor to the right of the oil filter, youl see a hole next to the trans housing. there is a tdc mark on the flywheel and engine block there as well.
thankyou.
but im pretty sure my oil filter is on the drivers side..

Old 12-24-2013, 07:12 PM
1st Gear

On a b6 Audi? Fwd or awd the quattro the engine is longitudinal the filter is on the passenger side. Look under the intake and coolant resiviour.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

yea sorry shoulda gave the specs for my car.
Its a 04 audi 1.8t quattro. and your correct the Filter is under coolant res.