B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

aww crap... my glovebox!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:19 PM
1st Gear
Default aww crap... my glovebox!

yesterday i just went to open up my glovebox , no force mind you, just let it open up on its own and the hinge on the right totally broke! its hanging by the left hinge only.

you think this is something that i can replace on my own ? can the hinge be replaced by itself or do i need to replace the whole door?

i dont suppose this is under warranty is it? i have 48000 mile on my car and with less than a month till warranty expires.

anyone else have this happen ?

Old 10-02-2008, 10:12 PM
3rd Gear

Happened to me too, and to other 10000 of people. i will give u link later how to fix it

Old 10-02-2008, 10:25 PM

apparently thats a pretty common thing with all audi glove boxes. mine is starting to break on the right hinge. i try to use it as little as possible now haha.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:27 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by audiprotein
Happened to me too, and to other 10000 of people. i will give u link later how to fix it
audiprotein -thank you so much in advance. i was looking for a thread about this issue and didnt find any. i baby my a4 like you cant believe as im sure you all do to your's. my eyes literally went numb as i looked in disbelief!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:01 PM

Had the same thing happen last night. I called the dealership this morning and he laughed and said that it would cost $400 to fix!! I knew the price would be high but he could have delivered it without the laugh. Any link to fix would be helpful....thanks!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 04:54 PM
3rd Gear

Here http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238177 but i dont know the guy, i'm just passing the link to u guys

Old 10-04-2008, 12:27 AM
1st Gear

Be aware that this fix addresses the symptom but not the real problem - there is too much resistance on the "soft eject" mechanism on the door.

I had the right hinge break and the dealer replaced the door under warranty. At the time I complained about resistance and they said that was normal. About a year later I saw that the hinge was cracked again, and since the warranty was nearly expired I brought it in again to have it fixed. This time they tried to fix the soft eject but weren't able to, so they installed a complete new glove box assembly. After 4 years, and for the very first time, my glove box opened the was it should - dropping down easily and landing softly without any additional help at all.

Unfortunately I didn't study the mechanism so I can't offer any advice on how it may be fixed, but you should definitely have a look once you've gotten the glovebox removed.

Cheers

Old 10-04-2008, 02:42 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by VitaminB6
Be aware that this fix addresses the symptom but not the real problem - there is too much resistance on the "soft eject" mechanism on the door.

I had the right hinge break and the dealer replaced the door under warranty. At the time I complained about resistance and they said that was normal. About a year later I saw that the hinge was cracked again, and since the warranty was nearly expired I brought it in again to have it fixed. This time they tried to fix the soft eject but weren't able to, so they installed a complete new glove box assembly. After 4 years, and for the very first time, my glove box opened the was it should - dropping down easily and landing softly without any additional help at all.

Unfortunately I didn't study the mechanism so I can't offer any advice on how it may be fixed, but you should definitely have a look once you've gotten the glovebox removed.

Cheers
cool... so this is under warranty. then i need to take mine in fast cause the warranty is about to expire in a few weeks. hopefully they'll fix it right the first time.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:47 PM

Yes, this is under warranty. Just take it back and they will fix it at no cost.