B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Audi Flirting with me....

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi Flirting with me....

Searched the forum and found some useful information but have not found what I am looking for. As you can see, I have an upgrading spending problem, which has kept the wife real happy with me lately....Let me get to the point....

After the last upgrade of the test pipe, the car had a broken crankcase breather hose that I knew about and just replaced it. Then I purchased a turbo gage for two reasons. One I wanted it and two, wanted to use it for troubleshooting. Oh to the point...

It seems when the car is cold, chip is on the car runs wonderful. Almost instant response from the pedal. Turbo is responding....all is good....until it gets warmed up... When I state warmed up, I'm talking30-40min after start up. (However, this has been the situation the last couple of days. Prior to the other day having this problem, it has been weeks since I had the problem.) The boost gauge reads -19 to -23 at park and does not fluctuate. When getting on it, I can reach anywhere to 21 to 22 psi.

Then the problem. (just happened again today) I get on it and the pedal feels soft, the air box is screaming air (louder than normal), and the turbo is not responsive like it should. At first I was thinking about the hot temperatures lately, but with an intercooler, that should not be the case. When the problem happens The boost gage is -7 to -9 at park (no fluctuation) and when I get on it, the boost just soars right up to 23 to 27 psi without the normal power I have been getting. To get the car to run like it should again, I have been resetting the chip. Once this is completed, the car runs great for days.

I checked for vacuum leaks, loose hoses, removed/replaced air filter, intercooler, turbo, and checked for exhaust leaks. Found no issues. Not leaking anything. No CEL or codes. Any ideas what it could be? How about a broken diverter valve? Exhaust leak? Kinda of lost here. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
Only caveat… I am above 7000 feet above sea level. Just itching to get down to sea level!!!
Thanks
CMO

Old 07-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Time for some better software! Keep in mind though, even with the ER, this heat is brutal on power

Old 07-28-2010, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response. Without any CEL's showing, could the APR software show some type of errors? Its going into the shop on Friday. What type of issues could I have with an exhaust leak or broken/malfunctioning diverter valve?
Thanks

Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

A little more information. It appears, per the boost gage that I am overboosting and causing the car into limp mode. However, no codes. Resetting the chip places it back to way it should drive. But goes back to this overboosting issue upon restart....lately.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:15 AM
1st Gear

Well, my mechanic still has my car. It DID however, have some overboasting codes but did not throw the CEL. Must be seen on the APR Software. I will speak with him on Monday and post the codes...Hopefully......

I will say, prior to having this issue, the car is exactly how I wanted it to run. With all the mods, the car is great to drive. As much mod money I have into it (Approx 5-7grand, thanks to a warranty) it is well worth it...