B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Alarm beeps when locking car using remote fob

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Alarm beeps when locking car using remote fob

When i lock car using remote fob, the car alarm starts beeping. Remedy seems variable - pressing the unlock and lock on remote fob - but sometimes i have to actually get back in car and turn engine on.

It seems to be getting worse - originally it was happening 1 of 4 times - but now up to 3 of 4.

Tried turning off motion sensor and replacing fob battery - no such luck

I have seen a bunch of postings on the forum with similar problems - all with no reply

Anyone come across this problem - AND - have a solution???

Many thanks in advance.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:34 PM
4th Gear

Its either the motion sensor, door sensors, trunk sensor, hood sensor, or the wiring to/from them. Gonna have to trace it out.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:27 PM
3rd Gear

If you have access to a VAG COM use it and check for codes, I think is software problem...

Old 09-30-2009, 08:58 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the feedback. I am taking it into Ringtec in Atlanta, GA tomorrow and will pass on the opinions to the tech.

Will post the remedy (hopefully) tomorrow night.

Thanks again.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

So after 5 days at Ringtec - nothing. Tech got codes back that horn was problematic - other than going off when locking, horn seems fine.

Took the car to local Audi Dealer on PIB - they seem similary stumped. Interestingly their first callback was that my water pump was leaking. I told them that guy at Ringtech said that also, and replaced pump, timing belt, rollers etc. I guess upsell at the dealers is alive and well.

Anyway, dealer ha ssaid that battery may be problem and suggests replacing. Drilling down, they tell me taht while the voltage is reading 12.9 - the battery is only drawing 180 amps versus 350 amps.

I invited them to try a "working" battery and if the problem remains, then it is not the battery. They did not seem happy with that logic.

Still in shop, paying $40 a day on a "loaner" car.

Anyone got any ideas at all?

Very grateful for any input.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:01 AM

I also have the same issue. However I got a workaround. Always turn off the ignition before opening the Driver side door. This seems to help ... at least in my case. I have been doing this for past 6 days and the alarm didn't even go up once.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Alarm problem fixed

Finally, heres what the dealer did to get it fixed - after 3 attempts and 4.5 weeks in the shop

1. Swapped out the battery - didn't fix it.
2. Swapped out the "control unit" - involved removing drivers seat and many hours of work - didn't fix it.
3. Swapped out the alarm horn - finally fixed it - (did i mention up front that the tech at the other place said that the horn was probably the problem?)

Had to negotiate with the dealer pretty vigorously, spoke to the service manager eventually and they credited me for the battery, the put the original controller back in and ended up charging me for the new horn, labor to install it and a few hours troubleshooting.

Net net is i ended up paying $600 to get an anoting alarm issue working. Pretty expensive but became a principle thing more than anything.

Ironically, 2 weeks later the alarm stopped working altogether - i would push the panic button, nothing - no beep when car was alarming.

took it back and they traced it to a short in one of the cables - replaced part of the loop and it was working again.

Call me cynical, but i am not convinced that this was the original reason.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:09 PM
3rd Gear

It was probably your horn to begin with.