B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

30mph+ speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Default 30mph+ speeding ticket

this happened on Route 1 in Islin/Woodbridge, NJ by the Woodbridge mall

so I was coming back home for work today, had a headache and just wanted to get home and relax ASAP.... I was doing 80 when I saw this car cutting everyone off and got right on my ***, I didn't know it was a cop until he turned on the lights... so I got pulled over (the POS cop said I was doing 82 on a radar on a 50 when I'm pretty sure he paced my speed... why else would you follow me so close for about 300 feet?). This is my first time getting pulled over so I'm sitting there sh*tting bricks with my license and registration in my hand. he asks me whats the hurry and I tell him the truth "I'm just going home", whatever, he asks me why I was switching lanes without signaling and cutting everyone off... which I wasn't so I told him "I didn't realize I was doing that", I know bad responses but remember this was my first time getting pulled over... so he goes back to his car and spends 10 mins and comes back with a ticket and court summon. Now I'm really sh*tting bricks cuz I know in NY speeding 30mph+ over the speed limit is 7pts on your license and a 30 day suspension...

but after a little research online I came upon this little info and it says:

"The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. Under special agreements, traffic convictions in Quebec or Ontario are recorded on NYS driver license records and carry points. Except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations."

so basically I'm safe from points right?

and can I fight the ticket by saying that I sped up because I saw a car coming towards me at high speed so I didn't want him to ram behind me?

does anybody know any cops/detective in NJ that can help me out?

Old 02-11-2008, 10:35 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 30mph+ speeding ticket

pacing is old school, here in TN, if you go to court, the officer must show where his radar was calibrated that day and the radar where he clocked you, pacing isnt valid here anymore

Old 02-11-2008, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

It's going to kill your pocket but if its out of state your safe. "Thats why I keep my car tagged out of state". The major thing is they will nail you if you are caught driving again in NJ for 30days that might be NC not sure. One of the N states not NY if you are caught driving from out of state over the limit they will tell you that your priv's have been suspented for a given amount of time most common 30. I've had friends on the east coast get that one a few times.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 PM

jsut pay the ticket. dont bother fighting you will loose and waste your time. you're correct, you wont get points when you're outside of nys. NJ is not the place to be dipping and weaving either unless you're on the 95 and the troopers arent out. on the local routes those guys will get you in an unmarked anything... not just crown vics or impalas.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

Bro, be glad you weren't in Georgia ... you would have gotten busted with a ticket for doing over 20+ and for Wreckless Driving ... 6 months for each account = no license for a year. They don't play down here in the South.

I'm with ThreePointOhhh, just pay the ticket and move on. Did he put a radar calibration date on your ticket?

Old 02-13-2008, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

First of all, there was a tri-state agreement thing long time ago so points will transfer if you get tickets in NY, NJ and CT. Again, that was a while back, it may not be valid anymore.

Also, I just asked my co-worker who lived in NY and just got a ticket in NJ two weeks ago. He said he doesn't know if points will transfer back to NY or not but NJ court will definitelynotify NY DMV. I think you can call a lawyer office to find out detail.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Slut

if you go to court, the prosecutor will plea down the speed and fine... Why would you just pay it, it'll cost more and be worse.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:55 PM

NYS DMV has decided not to record out of state violations unless from Quebec or Ontario. The DMV also does not add points to your driving record for out of state traffic violations.
You do still need to take care of the out of state speeding ticket though. If you do not respond to the citation or fail to pay the fine for this moving violation the NYS DMV will suspend your license.

THis was taken from carinsurance.com

Old 02-14-2008, 01:56 PM

yea so I've called about 5 different attorney's and was quoted from $325-$750 for them to plea bargain FOR ME. They usually get really good results. I kept asking around, and the point definitely don't transfer and most people I talked to didn't take an insurance hit because the insurance never found out. Then I talked to one of my coworkers, who knows a lot of Woodbridge cops, and he said that the guy that gave me a ticket was a rookie trying to make a name for himself and that I was a victim. He said that he couldn't do anything for me since he didn't know the guy. Then I asked him if I should get an attorney (this guy is in his 50's and has always lived in NJ) and he said that why would I pay for someone to do something that I can do myself. Apparently NJ has something called plea bargaining where you can lower the charges against you or even have them dropped.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:01 AM
1st Gear

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Be glad you weren't in Cali. I got a wreckless driving ticket in and they put on 4 points onto my record and 6 months suspension and 6 months probation. I just got out of probation in about 2 weeks from now. Ha, so if I get pulled over for speeding, and ticketed then I lose my license for a year. And then another year probation. Oh, and the ticket cost me 650 bucks.

So, really. That's not that big of a deal esspecially since your out of state and that law in NY doesn't apply to you.

Quick Reply: 30mph+ speeding ticket