B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

2005 A4 B6 Special Edition?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 02:11 PM
1st Gear
Default 2005 A4 B6 Special Edition?

strongly thinking about buying a 1.8T A4...2005, with 75k gentle miles on it tomorrow.
Carfax shows it as a special edition, but I wasn't aware such a thing existed. I know it's got the sport package, cold weather package and the Bose symphony I believe.

all maintenance was done at Audi but the owner didn't have invoices.. I am waiting for the dealer get back to me about the 75k maintenance that car fax says was done... I am hoping they did the timing belt then!
The car does have an airbag light on and I am having an indie garage go over an inspection on it tomorrow... I will have them use a VAG/audi specific code reader, but my gut says that it's going to be one of those unknown component high resistance errors... the wires under the driver or passanger seat. I hope its not the airbag controllers, because that's pricy (1800$ I read)

If the airbag light is a non issue and can be resolved, my only concerns are that although i see some common parts were replaced (ignition coils etc) it only shows on carfax as having had a 45k maintenance and a 74k mile maintenance... the other ones might have been reported as inspection/oil change lube I guess.. but I'm not sure...

I thought the major maintenance was at 35k and 75k, according to the documentation..

Here's a list of things that were replaced that I was able to pull from carfax.... water pump looks like it went around 61k miles, so it's been done and wouldn't have been done as part of the 75k mile.

6/4/07 Ignition coil(s) replaced

6/4/07 Engine/powertrain computer/module checked

7/18/08 Battery replaced

7/18/08 Battery/charging system checked

8/28/08 Break Light switch replaced

11/7/08 45,000 mile maintenance done

12/24/08 Four tires mounted and balanced

1/30/09 Front brake pads and rotors replaced
4/15/11 Four tires mounted and balanced

4/15/12 Rear brake pads and rotors replaced

4/15/12 Four tires mounted and balanced

12/28/2012 74,756 Langan Audi East Vehicle serviced

other oil changes show up as having been done.. anywhere from every 2-10k miles.. i am assuming synthetic is used in this car?

Car was in 1 minor fender bender and is a 1 owner.... is there anything else I should be concerned with? This is the checklist I will have the mechanic go through when reviewing the car: Guide To Buying a Used Audi A4 - AudiWorld.com Audi Wiki

seems to be very comprehensive... anything else I am missing audi gurus??

Old 02-18-2013, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear

I've never had an airbag controller bad, but others have. Mine were always the wires under the seats....timing belt is crucial, and just because a carfax says and audi dealer serviced it-what does that really mean? My carfaxes from previous audis actually SAID what was done on the car, so make sure they did it-otherwise if you buy it anyway, have someone check it you trust. Timing belts on 1.8s are not that bad to do yourself, if you are so inclined and NOT as expensive as on a V6. On a 2.8 v6-PITA and time consuming.

BTW, I do own a 2005 Audi A4 Quattro V6 3.0, Ultra-Sport S-Line Edition, 6 Speed and I LOVE IT!

As far as the special editions, I've seen them advertised on dealer lots and the classifieds, so i know they exist.

Other than that, you're going about it the right way.

Marky

Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply.. The air bag code read with a standard odb2 tool said driver side airbag ignighter ... Wires under the seat. Mechanic went to look under the hood and the hood release cable was snapped.
Aside from not being able to check that there was some leakage at some axel seals, output seal was leaking a little but racks, tie rods, breaks, differential deal looked great. The owner is getting the hood cable fixed... Which I hope they can do with out breaking the grill, and then I plan on getting paper records from the dealer with an explanation of work since some major things are not showing on carfax yet they say they are done.

Thanks for your response, I just don't wanna miss anything. Looking forward to hopefully cruising in my new car this weekend.