B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

2003 1.8t quattro manual transmission - slow throttle return - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:28 PM
1st Gear
Default 2003 1.8t quattro manual transmission - slow throttle return - HELP

Okay it's not that bad but it takes my throttle longer than it should to decelerate between upshifts. It would be nice if it actually would drop to a synchronized RPM before I realeased the clutch on the next gear up. I am not speed shifting, and I usually shift between 3500 and 4000 depending. Any suggestions? I tried some manual TB adaptation thing by turning the key on, holding pedal to floor 5 seconds, turning key off, and letting it sit for 2 minutes before driving, but it didn't seem to help. I am new to the whole throttle by wire thing too.

Maybe this will be more clear....

Between shifts when I push in the clutch and let off the gas, say to shift from 3rd to 4th the RPMS do not drop fast enough. So when I release the clutch the engine is still revving higher than it should be and when the clutch actually engages it forces the engine to drop down about another 300 rpms to catch up to the relative speed of the gearing in the transmission. If I held in the clutch and let off the gas between shifts for maybe say 3 seconds the engine RPMS would probably match the transmission RPMs for the higher gear I just shifted into, but I don't think I should have to wait that long... Dirty throttle body maybe?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Where's the love...

Thoroughly cleaned my throttlebody today, didn't make a difference. Could it be where the actuator is attached to pedal or actuator it'self that needs lube? When releasing the pedal it pops right up bud the engine like I said befor takes too much time to drop RPM IMO.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:32 AM
1st Gear

Hey mate

I'm a newbie today, and this is my first post!

Sounds like a faulty turbo bypass valve. I found that I had to change gears very slowly to allow the revs to drop to match the next gear. I changed mine last week and noticed that gear changes were much smoother.

06A 145 710N is the part you are after. You'll need three new hose clamps too.

1) Jack the car up.
2) Take the cover off.
3) Look directly under the front RHS of the car you will see the part same part as the one you've now bought. (It has two large pipes at right-angles, one coming off the SMIC (at least on my S-line)
4) Cut the hose clamps using a Dremel grinder being careful not to damage the hoses
5) Cut the clamp for the smaller hose at the back of the BPV.
6) Pop out the old BPV, slide new clamps onto the hoses and replace with the new one.
7) Check and recheck the clamps are tight and seal well on the fittings
8) Replace the cover under the car, lower to the ground.
9) Take it for a spin!