B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

2002 A4 3.0 Heat Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:15 PM
1st Gear
Talking 2002 A4 3.0 Heat Issue

I have searched the threads regarding my issue with the heat in my vehicle. I do apologize if this is a repeat but have not been able to find anything that answers the problem that I am having.

I am not sure if this is a blend door issue as I do hear the blend doors making some noise when switching between modes and def, flr and vent. The problem is that I have very little air in the heat mode exiting any of the outlets. And the air that does is cool. The a/c functions in the same manner with regard to air coming out of the vents. Also in the heat mode it feels like cool air is blowing onto my legs.

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully give me some sort of insight into this issue.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:31 PM
4th Gear

have u tried to bleed the coolant system? that is the cheapest way to try to fix it. warm up the car a little bit turn it off unscrew the coolant cap and let it gurggle. Repeat and u may have to refill the coolant g-12 pink and see if the heat comes back>? If not u maybe have a clogged thermostat

Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 AM
1st Gear

A couple of thoughts:
First if you have access to VAGCOM it has a function to check operation of all of the HVAC vent doors.
I am assuming you have no heat at idle or at speed and your engine temperatures are good.
To bleed the cooling system / heater core look for the heater core hose where it enters and exits at the fire wall. One of the hoses should have a small hole on top. That is the return hose. Move the clamp and pull the hose back until that small hole is just past the end of the pipe. Put a funnel in your coolant reservoir that fits in the tank opening. You may need to purchase a funnel because it needs to sit directly in the opening to seal it. The funnel must be higher than the heater core hoses. Pour 50/50 G12 into the funnel until coolant comes out of the small hole. Slide the hose back on and re-clamp.
You may consider back flushing the core, some people have successfully cleaned the core and had flow return. Let me know if you want some tips on that procedure.
Finally, on Identafix (mechanic web site) 11 out of 13 fixes for no heat in Audis was heater core replacement.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Thanks for the ideas

Thanks for the responses to my heat issue. the general conciseness seems to be bleeding the system. I do however suspect the blend doors but do not have access to a vagcom. I will try bleeding the system first and than go from there.

Again thanks for your replies

Old 11-22-2012, 08:34 AM
1st Gear
Default Double help please ! ! !

Originally Posted by m3810
Thanks for the responses to my heat issue. the general conciseness seems to be bleeding the system. I do however suspect the blend doors but do not have access to a vagcom. I will try bleeding the system first and than go from there.

Again thanks for your replies

So I replaced the stat yesterday and still did not resolve my heat issue. I don't know if it narrows things down at all but all hoses seem warm including the input/output to the heater core. Could a plugged core still be the cull-pert even if I am feeling warm hoses. The heat is tepid at best and the floor vents seem to blow cooler air than the defrost. I am hearing noise in in the dash and as mentioned airflow does move when changing between defrost/vent/floor vent. How can I diagnose if this is a blend door issue and are they accessible? Any other thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance for any help !

Old 11-26-2012, 05:45 AM
3rd Gear

Yes a clogged core will definitely cause this problem. But bleed your system entirely first, for the core there's a DIY floating around, you can do it from the driver's side if you are an amateur contorsionist.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 AM
1st Gear
Default Somewhat solved

Originally Posted by Dan1969
Yes a clogged core will definitely cause this problem. But bleed your system entirely first, for the core there's a DIY floating around, you can do it from the driver's side if you are an amateur contorsionist.
I did a flush on the heater core and seems as though I have heat. At first it was not consistent, I.E. turn up the blower to high and it would cool down. After driving it for a few miles it seems to have leveled out. Still not sure if all the air is out of the system as the bleeder by the thermostat has a constant flow of coolant. So we will see.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:25 PM
4th Gear

in order to bleed the system it will take a few time to repeat the steps. I had to actually do it about 5 to 7 times before i got the heat working again.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pa4ul
in order to bleed the system it will take a few time to repeat the steps. I had to actually do it about 5 to 7 times before i got the heat working again.
Second