B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

1.8t vs 3.0. stock.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Default 1.8t vs 3.0. stock.

Which one is faster stock?
Which one is more reliable?

I told him that he would probably be disappointed with the 3.0's but he needs reliability not speed. (or so he says)

I have a friend who is looking for an Audi and found a few 3.0's with 150k on them, is there anything in particular he should be looking for?

We are having a debate at my house (I live with 2 "car smart" men, lucky me) and I want to know if they are right, or even close.

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2010, 12:52 PM

I'd say bone stock the 3.0 is both quicker and faster than the 1.8T, no question. Judging by the number of posts for coilpack failures and engine sludge, it may also be more reliable...but that could just be that there are that many more 1.8 owners out there...or the fact that many more 1.8 owners tend to mod thier cars into lower reliability brackets.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:56 AM
1st Gear

tdoyle definitely has it right with regard to the speed, but I figured I'd look up the spec and post it so you can see numbers. The 3.0 is rated at 220 HP stock, and the 1.8T is 170. 50 HP is obviously going to be a noticeable difference, but I will say I have not been disappointed in my 1.8T in terms of performance.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:30 AM
4th Gear

I think in terms of reliability the 3.0 hands down. There is less maintainence involved in that car. ITs probably due to the turbo in the 1.8. But as far as speed goes for the price u pay for the 3.0 versus the 1.8 u could chip the 1.8 for 3 to 5 bills and get the same amount of power outta your 1.8 as you would the 3.0. The 3.0 will have a few more nice little add ons in the interior as heated seats and all. Other then that its all about quattro.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:32 PM

yeah chipping is always an option.

question on the heated seats, I have the 05 3.0 USP, but no heated seats.
with all the upgrades the USP offers why take away the heated seats?

Old 01-28-2010, 01:38 PM

I think the USP is basically a body kit and a steering wheel, isn't it? Heated seats come with the cold weather package, not Ultra Sport.

Chipping is not much of an option on 3.0. Without some kind of forced induction you won't get anythign like the kind of returns people get by chipping a 1.8T.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:28 PM

yeah the body kit (rs4 rims, lower stock suspension and trim on the bottom of the car) as well as some interior upgrades like the aluminum trim and the s-line wheel. but it seems stupid that the USP wouldn't include the CWP as well. maybe that's just me?

& we were talking about chipping the 1.8 not the 3.0 (at least I was), I've looked into chipping my car and have not found enough of a reason to pay that money for the little boost I would get.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

I drove both back to back. A 02 3.0q sport and a 03 1.8t sport. The 1.8 seemed to handle a touch better due to the difference in weight but the 3.0 was a very noticeable difference in power. I looked into all the reliability factors and maintenance stuff too. there is a difference but if you can diy at all its negligible. I bought the 3.0 mainly because there aren't any mods readily available save for a catback. I have the problem where I cant leave anything stock so i got the 3.0 so i would HAVE to leave it alone LOL. I like the car a lot for what it is. I probably should have found an s4 since i think mine is gutless but I am sure I would have thought the s4 was after a while too.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:09 PM
3rd Gear

Our cars are more reliable missy, 3.0s are torquey on their stock form and perform well under harsh conditions. That being said, when they break they break, the most common problem is the cam timing adjuster, is on the rear of the banks, goes depending on how bad of a driver you are (how much you beat the car), and is about 600 bucks part, plus labor.

You already have a nice body... kit, the USP. You also have crome trim and some other thingys you won't notice until you sit in a 1.8T. I have heated seats, mirrors and washer nozzles. Also something you have and everyone with a 3.0 for that matter is the ability to roll your windows up/down with your key, try it, just put your key in and open and hold it, do the same thing for closing them.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:03 PM
4th Gear

OR if u have a vagcom u can roll ur windows down via pushing the unlock button on the key. I thought the wasernossels for the lights are a standard option on audi. If i had a second chance to swap my car i would get a usp 1.8t quatrro cold weather. ORRR an avant!

Quick Reply: 1.8t vs 3.0. stock.