B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

02 Audi Problems....HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Default 02 Audi Problems....HELP!

Hey Guys,
I'm new to the forum and new to Audi's altogether. I was in love with my e36 BMW M3 until an accident took it away.

Last September I pushed myself into getting an 02 Audi A4 1.8t after the test drive and loving everything it had to offer. Within the first two weeks the thermostat had to be replaced and actually broke down after the coils went.

I went all Winter with no problems, in fact I had a blast, the quattro was amazing, the ride was fantastic. It all started when warm weather hit. I was driving from a stop light when all of the sudden around 20 mph I lost all power to the wheels. I stopped and put it in park (auto w. tiptronic...first auto I've ever owned.) and it drove away fine, but I noticed it was sluggish. All service was up to date and I was at 79k. This problem was intermittent until recently. It still happens around 20 mph, the car is doggish now when it once was nimble and quick. Even at highway speeds of 65+ it will lose power and I have to take my foot off the gas and push again. Sometimes it doesn't do this at all and drives fantastic...but today on a rainy day, it drove horrible. I was told it was probably the EPC and the throttlebody.

I replaced the timing belt and all of the other parts comensurate with the replacement, just put a new air filter in and found out the car had the stock OEM air filter.....the woman before me took very little care of it. In prodding around I found black gunk in the turbo intake. I've done an injection cleaning, full scheduled maintenance, and oil changes with nothing but synthetic. I'm about to change the plugs....but what is causing this sudden doggish acceleration and the dip in power at 20 mph and sometimes 65+? I'm stumped.

I love the car, but if I can't figure it out I'll trade it in and get a different one altogether with a manual like I wanted in the first place.

Any help would be appreciated, I've already put 3k into the car and only had it for 9 months.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:55 AM
2nd Gear

From your experience I can confirm you bought an Audi! I would look at the turbo to rule it out as the problem. Also, seafoam the oil bc if it wasn't taken care of and the oil wasn't changed regularly you may have sludge.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:41 PM
3rd Gear

do you have any CEL?

Old 07-22-2009, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by audiprotein
do you have any CEL?
Agreed. Scan it first and got from there. Also, get an oils change done every 2 months for the next 6 months. This should get all the sludge out or you can seafoam it. I myself would not do that but others here have with great results so try it if you want.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Default Thank You

Thanks for the responses guys. I have in fact had the car scanned numerous times by reputable guys. I actually have to ride an hour south to get a good mechanic because up here people gouge and have no idea how to work on the car.

No Error Codes have arisen, but I am going to pick up a Ross-Tech program for my laptop this week. The ESP indicator shows up almost on a regular basis and I just had new tires put on about a month ago.

As I am new to Audi's I'm learning a lot just by taking it apart and toying around. It's like 20 lbs of crap in a 5 lb bag.

I've been running Lubro-Molly through the gas and only use super 93 and gas up at 1/4 tanks. It seemed to help quite a bit, but still the power dip. It seems like a breathing problem....would the turbo be faulty? Or just because of the neglect would it be gunked up? And how would I clean that crap out, I know how to clean the throttlebody.

Really appreciate the help guys.

Thanks

Old 10-28-2009, 11:26 PM
1st Gear

My ESP light came on with the amber triangle and circle light. When these were on my car was very sluggish and did not accelerate. I read that when the ESP is malfunctioning the car may go to limp mode. Not sure.

This has happened 2 times after I washed the car at a car wash.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:20 AM

Change the fuel filter too? If the prior owner didn't get the oil and air filter changed out you can probably also bet the fuel filter is original and she probably used the cheapest regualr unleaded gas she could get. I bet its plugged nearly solid, change it before your pump overheats and dies on you.

The ESP lighting up should only come on when it detects slippage and the system kicks in to correct it, or if there is a problem with the system. Maybe you've got a bum speed sensor or something along those lines and the computer is limiting your power because it thinks you're out of control? Just a thought...not sure if that sort of problem would show up on any sort of scan other than a VAG-COM.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

I think i know your issue with the power cutting at 20 i have an 05 2.0t that has done that as well it drove me insane to find it turns out if the wires to the brake sensor under the dash are loose it cuts the power to the gas i put a ziptie arou d the harness and it runs like a brand new car now maby give that a try its a ten min job and may save you hundreds