B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Your thoughts on interior

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:04 AM
Default Your thoughts on interior

So this is the options. My car is a cream/tan/gold (don't know which really) color on the exterior. The interior is two tone, with the white/black. I am trying to determine whether it's worth making it all black. To do that, I need to change the seats, door panel (since apparently those little white sections of the handle don't come off seperately[:@]), and the headliner w/ sunroof. Also, my car is loaded with airbags, in the pillars and seats. I found a place that quoted me $350 for the headliner, parts and labor. Sounds reasonable. The guy won't touch the seats because of the airbags, something about the stitching tension along the air bag side. Anyways, I want to get your guys opinion on what you would go with. If I do turn the interior black, my friends parents own a paint shop, they would give me a huge deal on painting the car.

As a note, I am willing to do swaps. My seats are in crazy good condition. No cracks or tears. Rear seat use almost non existant, passenger side barely used. (Thanks to the previous owner!!). What do you all think? Your own preferences are welcome, more ideas the better.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Your thoughts on interior

i have spent the last year doing the exact thing you're talking about. so far i'm into it about $700.00, and thats with recovering the headliner and door panels in suede myself. depends if its worth it to you to spend a TON of money to change the color of your interior to something stock.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Another option, since you can get a good deal on paint, is to just pick a color you like that'll match up well with your interior, and paint the car. Then you end up with a two-tone interior in a color scheme that flows with the car's exterior. If I had a paint hookup and your situation, I'd do it without hesitation.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:45 PM

forget about it... leave your interior alone...

do what upstate says...paint your car white....the colors will flow beter

Old 02-27-2008, 12:38 AM

Thanks for the input. I've pretty much decided to keep the interior as is, as well as the exterior. I think I'll wait to do that once I start getting some major damage to it from working on the performance and entertainment aspects of the car. I'm thinking major upgrades for speakers, tweeters, and subs. Probably need an amp too. As for the head unit, I have a crazy idea for it. I'm doing some research on putting in a unit with a screen that I can have show boost, oil temp, pressure, etc. so I can keep it looking as stock as possible. Also, I'm thinking of creating a cover for the part similar to what scions have, with the panel that covers the stereo unit. I'd keep my head unit, and get another for the front of it. Looks like a stock unit, but push it and it opens up so you can see the actual unit with screen. I work in downtown of sac, and I've seen lots of decks and gps units stolen from cars that people forgot to hide or take off.

Brings a new meaning to Don't judge a book by its cover.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:15 PM
2nd Gear

I wanna do the exact opposite I want my black interior to be two-tone black and silver to match my silver exterior

Old 02-27-2008, 02:41 PM

Yeah, just leave it as it is. the screen sounds cool, what are you gonna use and how are you gonna make it connect with the ecu?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:15 PM

I haven't decided on what screen to use, or how to connect it with the ecu. This is sort of a thought in process. I always tend to change my mind every 5 minutes on what to do, so I take my time and plan before I do something stupid. With the luck I've had for years now, I'll do something that I either mess up, or do right and find a day later a better deal or something.

Like right now, I found the exact same car as mine, look at my sig below. Only differences are that it is a tipronic instead of manual, is black on black, and has way less miles, only 87583, unlike my 134000. Now that I see it, I have stopped all plans of working on my car and contemplating a way to get this car. I've had mine for a little over a month, and as much as I love manual, I am willing to sacrifice that love for everything I wanted in a car. The car is at a small dealership, which they have posted as $12k, like KBB price. I am going to try to have them bring the price down because I know I will have to do a timing belt change on it at least.

If you guys can help, the biggest problem I have is that I have payments for my current car, which I got for 6k, and was originally planning to pay it off in a year, mayble year 1/2. The black one is posted for 12k. Since they don't know how much I got my car for, I'm hopeing to get a good deal off of it. Do you guys know of a way to get my payment fixed in a way that I can end up doing payments for the black car without having to have payments on my current car. I've thought of selling my car for 10k, then paying off my car, but that results in having to pay for the black car for its total 12k. Any help or suggestions.

And, finally, since I value opinions so much, do you think the sacrifice for manual to tip is worth it in this scenario? To each their own.

Thanks.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:25 PM

Nevermind, car was crap. Too many problems, the previous owner took no care of the car. Looked like a 3 year old with a power drill and knife had had it's way with the interior. I think I'll keep future dumb ideas of transferring from car to car at bay until I've paid off the car and graduated. But I will definitely try to do my little audi set up for the head unit. I'll keep you guys updated on it when I start it, which probably won't be until the summer. Need to do some payments and research for this kind of job.

Do you guys think it's viable to put in a subwoofer or two where the armrest is? So when you bring the arm rest down, you see the sub(s)? I don't have a ski bag, so I thought I'd make the space useful. Plus, It would be hilarious to see friends in the middle jump freaked out from the noise when I turn up the sound.