B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

your opinion wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:48 PM
1st Gear
Default your opinion wanted

Here's my situation - current car - 02 Civic DX auto coupe with magnaflow exhaust and AEM SRI with 137k miles on it. Will need about $1500 worth of work to get it to a level I would like -- all regular maintenance - needs 4 tires, 1 rim, tb changed, odometer fixed. I have someone willing to buy the car from me, which puts me in perfect position to get the Audi I've been dreaming of since this time last year.

Found a 2001 A4 1.8T auto 5spd/tip (I know, I know) with 61k miles. Price is $7495.. Dealer is a small 2 person, sell out of the front lawn type place that only sells A4s so not a lot of overhead to be able to keep price down...

Went and test drove today, car drove very well, tested cruise control - worked, tested sunroof - worked, pushed on all for corners and heard no squeaking, checked trunk and engine bay, both really clean, all windows worked no problems, no abs/check engine lights, car comes from Virginia (I live in NY) so that makes me a little happier because that means it probably hasn't seen the lovely coating of salt my car is used to..

The small issues -- Normal rock dings on hood; start of small lines in the cluster - both not a big deal; driver side headlight was missing one of the screws/brackets so it was a little wobbly -- another car that looked like a parts car had some black aftermarket clear-corner headlights that I might see if they will swap out prior to sale..

The big problem - apparently it was in an accident. Carfax report claims it is a total loss vehicle. I don't know how to get info on the accident but it really drove well and looked great interior and exterior were really nice.

I really need to get rid of my Civic and can only afford something in the $8000 range.. is it a dumb idea to get this car? What's your opinion? What would you ask for/look for in this situation?

Old 02-25-2009, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

You could really find a lot of other nice A4s for the 8000 range... I would look around more, see what else is out there.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

The only A4s I've found in the $8000 range in my area have over ~100k miles on them and are all either 1999 or below.. I wouldn't want anything over 65k miles..

Old 02-25-2009, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

Oh okay, that's different, I'm from the Detroit area, and Audi's are very abundant and prices are low with every car. The accident might explain the low price for your area. I have no experience with buying an accident car, but I would be very careful. Is there any kind of warranty they'll give you?

BTW your taste in cars will be forever expensive after owning that a4, be ready to spend alot on future cars. As for me I can't see myself owning anything less than a TT or a B6 S4 for my next car haha

Old 02-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Administrator

^ Agreed. You will be spoiled from now on lol. Does the A4 have any maintenance records?

Old 02-25-2009, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

The dealer offers a 30 day 'Genesis warranty' through a company called Penn Warranty Corp. It covers 'everything': engine, transmission, differential, cooling system, ac, steering, suspension, brakes, electrical, towing/rental, and labor.. you just have to bring it to any licensed repair shop and they have to get approval first prior to work. but I believe it's a reimbursement type system... which sucks.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

I got some maintenance records from the carfax - a lot of work was done through the audi dealership the 1st and 2nd owners got it from.. here's a breakdown:

- Recommended maintenance at 8k, 14k, 20k, 35k
- Ignition coils replaced at 19k and 23k
- Console replaced at 20k
- Alternator and coolant reserve tank replaced at 22k
- Replaced front rotors, O2 sensor, brake lights and brake fluid flush at 34k
- Throttle valve housing and battery at 36k

Old 02-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Has the timing belt on the Audi been changed?

If you can't do it your self, it's not a cheap job to do the TB on these cars since you basically have to take out half of the front end.

Also I would just make sure to have some spare money left incase things go wrong (maintenance and other things).

Good luck!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

Unless it was changed when repairs were done from accident, I don't believe it was done. I know about the TB costs and am okay with it. Aren't 01's good till around 80k because of the updated tensioner? I know schedule says like 105k or something but I've read to do it sooner...

Also, I wouldn't necessarily mind it being in an accident because I know like 75% of them are small fender benders that just need small work (bumpers, radiator, paint, etc) and can rack up to $8-$10k easily -- my fiance's Civic was in a minor fender bender after sliding on ice and it cost $7k for repairs.. but there's NOTHING wrong with the car.

The part that worried me was the 'Total Loss' claim on Carfax - yet the title isn't salvage, junk or rebuilt. According to them 'Total Loss' is 75% of the value of the car -- say car is worth $11k normal (which is the # I was told by my credit union for value/loan comparison) and 75% of that is $8,250 -- which a small fender bender could easily rack up $8k for an Audi.. so I'm wondering if that was the case.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Administrator

The reason why Audis involved in accidents would usually classified under "total loss" even when it looks like it was a small fender bender was mostly because the car was made to observe the impact through the chassis for safety reasons.
The outside may look fine but the damage is mostly under those panels.

If the car drives fine, then it should be okay I believe.

I'm not sure how registrations go in NY but make sure it's not gonna be a pain for you!

Quick Reply: your opinion wanted