B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Yes or no, opinions accepted

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 02:35 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Yes or no, opinions accepted

I like the second one better. They look more euro and not so "alcheeeza" like the first ones. Halos aren't for me, but if you feel good about it, I say rock the hell out of them!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 02:36 AM
2nd Gear

Yea, the HID capability was probably the final clinching selling-point for me. Before I started this thread, I didnt know that you couldnt put HID's in halos (sh0wingth3n00bin3ss dab) and for my canyon adventures that I often take in the dead of night to go climbing, HID's are something I've been wanting for a long time to improve visibility up there. Correct me if im wrong, but the 4300k's are the best for visibilty right? Someone else posted a thread looking for the more bluish look from HIDs and one of the links in that thread had a chart on it but I dont remember the numbers for more visibilty vs more blue color... Maybe I'll go search for that thread...

Old 07-07-2008, 02:45 AM
2nd Gear

Found the chart. I might go with 6000k just to have a slightly exotic look... maybe... Does anyone know if 4700k's or 5000k's are made? Seems like that would be enough to provide the slightly exotic look of the 6000ks and maintain the optimal visibility of the 4300ks, a happy medium maybe?

[align=center] Color Temperatures[/align]
4300K has an approximately 3100lm output, which is more than 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and is the color temperature with the most output. The light appears fairly white, and has light yellowish hue when reflected off the road identical to the OEM HID equipped vehicles. It is ideal for customers who do a lot of back road or canyon driving and need the optimal visibility. [align=left]6000K has an approximately 2900lm output, which is 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and slightly less light output compared to the 4700K. Although it has a bit lesser light output, it emits pure whiter light with a slight tint of blue.[/align] [align=left]8000K has an approximately 2500lm output, which is about 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and slightly less light output compared to the 6000K. While it has a bit lesser light output, it emits bluer light than the 6000K. This is one of the most popular of all color temperatures by customer demand. [/align] [align=left]10000K has an approximately 2300lm output, which is more than 2x the light output of the traditional halogen light. 10000K produces a deep blue light output approaching violet and the blue is noticeably deeper than the 8000K. This is the most popular color temperature by customer demand.[/align] [align=left]12000K has an approximately 2000lm output, which is more than 2x the light output of the traditional halogen light. This color temperature puts out a deep bluish violet light and is deeper colored than the 10000K. It is for customer who are looking for the most extreme and most exotic looking light output. [/align]

Old 07-07-2008, 03:07 AM
3rd Gear

I'm pretty sure 3000k is the best you can get for visibility. It will be yellow though. I personally like the yellow especially in fog lights under 6000k headlights. If you're looking for HIDs i think you should just google search different temperatures and see what kind of light output they give off. Youtube has some good videos showing that too.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:20 AM
2nd Gear

Yea, yellow fogs look sharp under the 6000ks, I dont have fogs tho so inbd for me. I dont think I'd go as low as 3000k, I already have yellow lights, whatever came with my car when I got it, be them stock or replaced, the lenses are yellowing and the light is yellow as well so I think if anything, I'd go with the 4300k at the least, but if I can find 5000ks, thats definitely what I'd prefer. Living so close to the city, the canyons arent outrageously dark so I dont necessarily need the absolute highest visibility, the mass of city lights helps with that, I just want to maintain the visibility I have now but twinge it with the more exotic look at the same time

Old 07-07-2008, 03:21 AM
1st Gear

I have yellow high beams, I can see ALOT further than a stock 4300k

Old 07-07-2008, 03:31 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: 1.8tee

I have yellow high beams, I can see ALOT further than a stock 4300k

What bulbs do you use? Or do you have a HID kit for the high beams

Old 07-07-2008, 03:34 AM
2nd Gear

I dont doubt that. Though that has me curious now (another noob question alert!) Are the HID's the main lights and the high beams are an even brighter light? Or is the regular driving lights just a regular bulb and the xxxxk HID is what is replacing the high beams? For example, is it possible to run say 6000k for the regular driving lights and then put 3000k's in for the high beams? Is that what you did or do I have my ideas in all sorts of different places? If you could run both temperatures in one fixture, that'd be sweet! You'd have the exotic look as you drive around common-style and then switch to the more visibility-friendly high beams for canyon and back road driving.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:52 AM
1st Gear

where does it say that these are HIDs? They look like projectors. An HID ballast would run you $150 alone. Does your car already have HIDs (that's my noob question. haha)? If they do, I guess you would just use your stock ballast on the new housing?

Old 07-07-2008, 04:02 AM
3rd Gear

Nobody said that they are HIDs. They are just projectors. I said that those halo headlights will probably not work with HIDs and now nobody's really talking about the headlights any more.. I'm pretty sure a lot of the people on audiforums have HID kits that cost half of $150

Quick Reply: Yes or no, opinions accepted