B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Yellow bulbs for high-beams?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:46 PM
2nd Gear
Default Yellow bulbs for high-beams?

I know here in Cali that it's legal to run yellow fogs, but I was also thinking of putting in yellow bulbs for the highs. I think I can adjust the highs and the projectors evenly and low enough to run them all the time and not blind people right? Does anyone know if this is even legal?

Old 12-11-2009, 11:54 PM
2nd Gear

idk but i think it would be really sweet im about to do my fogs

Old 12-11-2009, 11:54 PM
4th Gear

why would u want to purposely take away your high beams? that makes no sense... as far as legally... idk

Old 12-12-2009, 02:04 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
why would u want to purposely take away your high beams? that makes no sense... as far as legally... idk
Well honestly I never use them. So it really wouldn't be taking away anything. As far as legality, I don't see what the difference would be whether there's a yellow light down below or up top with the regular low beams. I've seen a lot of motorcycles that have one white light and one yellow light, so I think it should be o.k..

Old 12-12-2009, 02:22 AM
4th Gear

well then why not replace your low beams with hid yellow... that way u dont chance blinding other cars with driving with your highs on.. and u still get the desired effect of yellow lights

and bikes ride with the yellow lights sometimes cuz yellow cuts through fog really well and those bikers prolly do canyon runs alot... just safer for them

Old 12-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Administrator

A guy I know here used to run yellow HID high beams, can't recall the color temperature at the moment. I was skeptical at first but the color temperature was so low they came on quick. Looked pretty cool but as you might expect they were blinding if you happened to be in front of the guy.

Can't tell from your pics, do your projectors have city lights? If they do you might consider running yellow bulbs in those and just wire them to come on with your headlights, know what i mean? That way you'll get the yellow glow, still have high beams, and not blind people.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:59 AM
2nd Gear

Yellow HID = 3200k.

Last edited by dragonrage; 12-12-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:10 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
well then why not replace your low beams with hid yellow... that way u dont chance blinding other cars with driving with your highs on.. and u still get the desired effect of yellow lights

and bikes ride with the yellow lights sometimes cuz yellow cuts through fog really well and those bikers prolly do canyon runs alot... just safer for them
I would actually, but using only yellow for your headlights is illegal. I know one at least has to be white or hid blue/white..whatever. I just don't know if it's legal to have one white and one yellow. I think I might just give the CHP a call just to see what they say.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:20 PM
3rd Gear

if you can somehow get the high beams to stay on without blinding traffic I don't think you'll get in trouble with it. some cars come with yellow lights right next to the low beams (older acuras for example). I have yellow bulbs in my high beams and they're really bright so it may be hard not to blind oncoming traffic while not looking dumb and shining all over the ground..

Old 12-12-2009, 10:47 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by aledelic42
if you can somehow get the high beams to stay on without blinding traffic I don't think you'll get in trouble with it. some cars come with yellow lights right next to the low beams (older acuras for example). I have yellow bulbs in my high beams and they're really bright so it may be hard not to blind oncoming traffic while not looking dumb and shining all over the ground..
I'm going to mess with the two adjusters on each lamp to see how much I can aim them. Then I'll probably just see from there.

Quick Reply: Yellow bulbs for high-beams?