B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

would you rather...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:10 PM
4th Gear

with what sounds like a huge list of issues, you better be getting a hell of a deal if you decide to take that route...

Old 03-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Administrator

You better price your parts too. I've read member posts in the RS forum where a brake job was $1800 to put in rotors and pads. You can bet your *** that a steering rack job is gonna have a price tag that looks like a phone number...

Old 03-15-2011, 06:40 PM
2nd Gear

the rs6 isn't looking to good, at least that one. if i am buying a car for 25000 it best be perfect condition. The guy didn't know much about Audi considering it was at a BMW dealer. He said the previous owner was maybe the second but he stuttered and i head a 5 in the stutter. He also said the guy just did the timing belt job and said it cost 5k and there is some special 2k part that is no re-useable and has to replaced every time. The mechanic also looked like he was literaly trying to push the dent out with his hand through the wheel well. I think i will find one for a way better price considering i did like the car. I am looking for an rs4 to try out and an s4 to test out and get a comparison. i think 25000 is too much with such a list of probelms. He also said the brakes were just done but yet looked like someone kept them in a bin of water as they were solid rust colored. what would the front left fender alone cost does anyone know, i know an rs4 body kit for an s4 is 10k so im guessing the rs6 panel is 800-1200. Also is there a direct fit RNS-E for the rs6?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:06 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

know what? I was thinking of something else.. The one with V10 biturbo. I was like "LOL" when i saw for 25K and i'm sure I would have got one if it was. mah bad!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Administrator

OP, I said it above and I will stress it again - be sure to ask the RS owners in that subforum about their experiences with these cars. I don't know the part-by-part breakdown on the timing kit but a friend was recently looking into a 517whp 03 RS6 and was told the timing service is $3500 every 40k miles. Being in the RS line means parts are going to be incredibly costly (similar to the M line BMWs - I looked into an M5 with the 400hp V8, and was told, for example, having four O2 sensors changed would be about $2500 and that in general, ownership and maintenance costs rivaled those of an F355). I don't know for sure on the RS cars but I do know they will be very expensive to maintain properly.

I'm just cautioning you because being able to buy a car is VERY different from being able to afford one. Two friends and I almost went in three ways on a Ferrari 348ts years back. Asking price was $42k, or $14k each. No biggie. But $4000 cam belt services, $9000 transmissions, and $7700 clutches quickly brought us back to the real world.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 AM
3rd Gear
Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 AM
2nd Gear

i am located in MD not Denver sadly because that looks like a nice rs.

I will start asking around the rs section for more details on the rs6. I know the matiance would be expensive but the car would be worth it and it is just something that needs to be done.

What is the matiance like on a stage 3 s4? what goes out easier and what needs to be replaced more often to prevent failure.

I think the s would be a lot more fun to drive and would be more of a good toy the rs6 had so many buttons i wouldnt know what to do with myself. i Also liked the styling of the car tho so maybe would have to step up to a b6 s4?

Also help finding any rs4 for sale would be good i dont know what b5 year came to america but i know im not dropping 40k on the 07 model.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:27 AM
3rd Gear

Sadly, no B5 RS4s made it to the US save for a few gray market imports. I know there is one legit one here in CO and was for sale a couple years ago for almost $40k.

Stg 3 S4 avant will be the closest you can get without tons of paperwork and expense.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
2nd Gear

well that might explain why i cant find one haha. ok i just looked around on the net and like the b6 s4, i see the b7 has the same engine and looks liek they only made a few changes to the handling . Mainly the new body style. Is this correct from what i saw the b7 is a little bit better than the b6 but more expensive. I know it makes the same power.

What are the engine differences in the b5 rs4 vs the b5 s4. i could get the body done but what are the engione changes i would love to do a full build on an s4 to make it a complete rs4 that would be amazing. I saw the other day a converted saloon style and loved it, just need to know engine differences.