B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

worth chipping?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:04 AM
1st Gear
Default worth chipping?

I've got a 1.8tqm with 150k miles on it

most likely all highway miles, one owner car and clean as can be.
Probably babied and always serviced at an audi dealer.
turbo's got 150k miles on it and what looks to be a new TB.
Thinkin about getting a GIAC or APR tune.

looking for an increse in power, responsiveness, and boost but don't want to end up costing myself a turbo and a bunch of cash.

And will the stock DV be able to handle more boost or should that be replaced by a forge DV?

Old 01-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Administrator

The stock DV won't last, especially if its got 150k miles on it. You should upgrade to a 710n or Forge DV/splitter before or very shortly after the chip. First thing I would do is take off your turbo inlet and wiggle the compressor wheel. You shouldn't be able to move it at all, be it side-to-side or front-to-back. If there's a lot of shaft play that means your turbo is already on its way out and I'd stay away from a tune until you replace or upgrade it.

The fact of the matter is, no matter what BS anyone tells you, chipping your stock car will wear parts out faster just like running spacers will wear out wheel bearings faster, and running a big rear sway bar with no reinforcement brackets will crack your subframe faster. The turbo, motor mounts, clutch, brakes are all going to wear faster. That's just the way it is and that's why aftermarket performance parts are expensive.

Now. That said... It may only be 5 or 10k miles faster, it may be much sooner than that or you may not even notice it. Tuning companies like GIAC and APR have spent many many hours and a metric **** ton of money to make sure their tunes are safe to run on otherwise stock vehicles. The onset of boost/torque isn't going to snap rods with 150k on them and you're not going to shoot the turbine wheel out the back of the exhaust if you're nice to your car and don't do anything stupid.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info!
I'm already in need of a new DV, says my boost gauge. At higher RPM's i'm going from 10 or 11 pounds and quickly drops around 5k RPM's :/

is the 710 highly reputable? ive looked at the forge 007 and one of APR's, but APR gets pretty expensive

Old 01-20-2012, 06:20 PM

The 710N is a typical upgrade/replacement for the stock DV. IMO there's no need to spend $100+ on a DV if you're only getting chipped. Heck I've pushed 22psi+ through a 710N with my FrankenTurbo for a bit. Although right now I'm using an all-metal piston-style DV and I feel much more comfortable using it than the diaphragm-style 710N (again, pushing higher performance than a stock/chipped car).

Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Guru
Old 01-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Administrator

^^^ this.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by twoeightquattro
Thanks for the info!
I'm already in need of a new DV, says my boost gauge. At higher RPM's i'm going from 10 or 11 pounds and quickly drops around 5k RPM's :/

is the 710 highly reputable? ive looked at the forge 007 and one of APR's, but APR gets pretty expensive
That's not necessarily indicative of a failing DV. K03 is pretty little and runs out of breath in the higher RPM range. In any case you should definitely swap it out. Even all metal DV's would need to be rebuilt after that many miles.

Like metal said, 710n will do for a chip. Anything more than that though, and you should look into an all-metal piston style DV. ECS Tuning usually has 710n's pretty cheap.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
The stock DV won't last, especially if its got 150k miles on it. ...
The fact of the matter is, no matter what BS anyone tells you, chipping your stock car will wear parts out faster just like running spacers will wear out wheel bearings faster,..
I have 265k miles on the stock DV and stock turbo with APR Stage 2... The engine leak down test showed all cylinders well within 5% of each other... So I argue that the stock DV is good enough and the stock turbo has been perfectly fine. The car has seem some track days, but mostly highway.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Administrator

That's good that you've had luck with yours, but history will show that this is uncommon.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys.
this plan is goin on the back burner for a while though.
almost died when i sunk my fourwheeler to the bottom of a lake finally got it out after 1600 bucks for a towing company, and another 100 for multiple oil changes. hopefully nothing else goes wrong!

Quick Reply: worth chipping?