B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Wont shift into any gears... help

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:12 PM
4th Gear

No, they they are for reverse and speedo.

Exploded slave usually means it was installed incorrectly and it was allowed to over extend causing the cylinder inside to pop out the cap on the end. When you install the new one do it without the hydrolic line plugged in and makes sure the rod goes straight in. After you install it you can hook up the hydrolic line. You also want to use a power bleeder to bleed the system. Bleed it and then get in and use the clutch a bunch of times, then repeat that again.

BTW when installing a transmission you want to install the slave when there is a 1" gap between the transmission and block, this makes it easier to install a slave that is still under pressure much easier.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

yea I actually did all that.. My father said he is gonna look at it all this week. I live in Hoboken so I keep the car at my parents. Hopefully he figures out what the problem is.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

So update... I still can NOT get this damn car into gear!!! We got one of those pressure bleed systems just to make sure there was no air in the line, and it still wont work. I'm actually thinking about trying to shorten the pushrod, I'm wondering if the slave cylinder is pushed so far back because of the rod length that it is actually covering the internal hole where the hydraulic fluid comes in, preventing the clutch from pushing the rod forward.

I started it in gear and it jumps forward but doesn't stall... so if anyone has any thoughts please please please help

Old 03-22-2010, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear

maybe a throwout bearing?

Old 03-23-2010, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

I just installed a new one.. I'm gonna try shortening the push rod, and if that does nothing I'm pulling the whole F'in trans out again and seeing if anything in there is messed up... unless someone comes up with an idea.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 AM
2nd Gear

I think Mike probably already stated the problem, I'm willing to beat money on it. Because that applies to other manuals too.

You might think you did something right, but didn't realize you did it wrong, so take it back out of the car, and go over it again.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:54 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ericp1.8T
So update... I still can NOT get this damn car into gear!!! We got one of those pressure bleed systems just to make sure there was no air in the line, and it still wont work. I'm actually thinking about trying to shorten the pushrod, I'm wondering if the slave cylinder is pushed so far back because of the rod length that it is actually covering the internal hole where the hydraulic fluid comes in, preventing the clutch from pushing the rod forward.

I started it in gear and it jumps forward but doesn't stall... so if anyone has any thoughts please please please help
If the slave piston is pushed in to far the pedal would be very stiff, really not wanting to move at all. This is because the fluid is not moving.

To me it just sounds something was done wrong during the install or the clutch kit is completely wrong.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

Update!..... Okay so I called my pops today and told him I had an idea, rather than push the clutch all the way down and try and put it in gear only push it down a little bit at a time. He went out in the garage, started the car, pushed the clutch down about 2 inches and.........IT WENT RIGHT IN GEAR!!!!!!!... WTF?!..

and as far as the install... the only thing that could be wrong is the clutch disk being put in upside down. I put it in like this

Flywheel
--____--
P. Plate

Old 03-25-2010, 11:17 AM
4th Gear

Sounds like the fingers on the clutch end up being pushed too far in causing them to bottom out on the disk when the pedal is pushed all the way in. This happens when the clutch has the incorrect stack height or like you said when the clutch disk is installed upside down.

Was it a sprung or unsprung disk that you installed?

Old 03-25-2010, 10:22 PM
1st Gear

sprung.. My dad made the pushrod shorter and apparentlly the slave cylinder exploded again..

Flywheel
--___-- disk
P. Plate

Quick Reply: Wont shift into any gears... help