B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

At wits end.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:08 PM
1st Gear
Default At wits end.....

Though not a frequent poster here I have done a great deal of reading and searching of posts for an answer to the latest a4 quandry.... so here it is,
it is a 96 2.8l auto with about 188,000 mi, the problems (yes there are more than 1), are as follows: an intermittant no crank condition, when it won't crank, I have found that there is no ground to the park/neutral position relay. If I jump/bypass the relay it'll crank up and run just fine. The second problem is the tach and speedo are intermittant as well. Any insight to both these issue will be greatly appreciated. I do have a Bently manual but I find the wiring diagrams a bit skecthy. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

bump bump, hmm no opinions???? No closer than I was a week ago but the interior of the car is now all aver the place LOL

Old 04-26-2011, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

Sound like you've already diagnosed the relay as the problem? Relays are cheap, replace and clean contacts would be my guess, or clean contacts first, then relay if no change.

As for the cluster, well it seems none of them last very long. Dead center screens, intermittent gauges. If it were me, I would send it out to a repair place. There's a number of people who've done this with great results. Obviously, it may be good to see if there's a tach/speedo signal being sent first, but chances are it's the cluster. This is fairly common. Or find yourself a used cluster from a wrecking yard and see if it works.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply, at least someone reads these posts! Actually all I have diagnosed is that there is no ground at the relay. This circuit runs from the relay to the central locking module/pump. I have looked at the wiring and find no obvious faults, right now the car starts normally, I'm thinking that the module is funky! IIRC the the cluster has some circuits that tie into that module as well. Any more insight will be appreciated, thanks!