B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Wiper arm is stuck on spindle

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:09 PM
2nd Gear
Angry Wiper arm is stuck on spindle

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to get a stuck wiper arm off the spindle? My driver's side arm is stuck and I can't get it off.

So far, I've tried using gentle rocking motions with my fingers underneath the arm, prying it up with a flat head screw driver, and even gentle pressure with a crowbar. I then tried using a channel locks to rock the arm back and forth while pulling up. It's on there good!

I need to get this arm off soon, because my wipers are slowing down, and I want to try to clean up the wiper transmission before it burns out the motor.

I was thinking of ordering this kit

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...ers/ES2190252/

to help remove it, but was hoping for a less expensive alternative.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:48 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

i just did mine this past weekend...i know they say to pull it straight out, but mine was in there good. I decided to just twist them off (even that took some effort). I took out the assembly and just sprayed it with lube. Much much better.

The splines on the wiper arm ended up getting stripped, but they still grip very well when you bolt it back in place.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:13 PM
2nd Gear

Did you have to use a channel locks to twist them?

Hmmm, I was afraid of using too much force, but I guess it's worth the effort even if I strip the splines. I can always order a new transmission if cleaning them up doesn't work.

Thanks vgo!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vgo
i just did mine this past weekend...i know they say to pull it straight out, but mine was in there good. I decided to just twist them off (even that took some effort). I took out the assembly and just sprayed it with lube. Much much better.

The splines on the wiper arm ended up getting stripped, but they still grip very well when you bolt it back in place.
X2 did the same. No pliers needed just use two hands once the nut is removed.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:28 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

just make sure the wiper arms were put in the 12 or 1 o'clock position. Its the only way to remove the whole assembly out without taking out the ECU container. I almost just wanted to give up taking out the assembly out(very awkward angles) since it took me so long just trying to remove the wiper arms.

And do what dmaxn said, just use both arms. I stopped caring almost to the point of breaking it, so i used brute force to just twist it off.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:25 AM
2nd Gear

Well, you guys were right. Just had to eat a half dozen raw eggs, some raw steak, slap on the theme from "Rocky" on the stereo, put a thick pair of gloves on to protect my hands.

I grabbed the wiper arm with both hands and ripped her right off in about 10 seconds. Then the assembly came out no problem after removing the ECU cover.

Unfortunately, the driver's side spline was completed rusted solid, and no amount of pounding with a BFH would move it out of the assembly.

So, I've got yet another new purchase coming from ECS Tuning.

Man, I can't believe how many things I've replaced on Brunnhilde since last November. It's just one thing after the other.