B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Windshield washer pump.... did the search, no answer

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Windshield washer pump.... did the search, no answer

I know the "general rule" for posting.. i.e. "search first, ask second", so I did the search and didn't find the answer.

My windshield washer isn't working, so I did the obvious routine things... checked the fuses, did the search here and on audiworld and then pulled the washer reservoir out.
The headlight washer pump has a huge crack in it and isn't functioning, while the windshield washer pump seems to be fine.

I've seen that some people have had their headlight washer pumps working but not the windshield washer pump. I've NOT seen anyone that has posted that their windshield washer pump works but not the headlight washer.

In order to function, does the windshield washer pump require the headlight washer pump to be functional?

Old 03-02-2009, 10:57 PM

its one unit that sends to both the windshield and headlights, or at least it was in my car. My pump was fubar, had a massive crack running down one side, i had my local mechanic at the shell station on the corner replace it. It only slightly worked, like barely pushing out any fluid. Evidently they dont make our pumps anymore, so i have a pump from a newer model year. all you need are some electrical fitments/connectors to make the new one work.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Site Moderator

No, both pumps are on two different power sources. They often crack under pressure, just replace the pump and you should be good to go.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Site Moderator

yeah - there are two separate pumps and they are not linked at all. The windshield wash pump is the one at the bottom of the reservoir.

My headlight pump died and started leaking from a crack while my windshield pump still worked.

I have a brand new pump for the windshield sitting here on my desk.
I was going to replace both of mine anyway and didn't realize when I bought my replacements last month that the avant windshield pumps are different (because of the extra line going to the rear window), so I had to buy another.

If you want it for cheap, PM me.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

I just ordered both of them. I think it'll be easier to just replace them both at the same time.

Hopefully, it's the windshield washer pump and not the electrical that is broken.