B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Wind noise while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:35 AM
1st Gear
Default Wind noise while driving

When im driving at around 65 or above... lol. I hear some major wind noise in the cabin. It sounds like its either coming from the sunroof or one of the passenger side windows. Its hard to pinpoint because i cant get over on the other side of the car while driving. What could this be and how can i fix it? I've checked the sunroof and windows multiple times to make sure their fully closed, and made sure the doors are fully closed.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:05 AM

My car is excessively noisy at high speeds as well. So is my buddy's A4 avant. I think its just something you need to deal with.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:08 AM
1st Gear

AHh, its so annoying though. maybe i never heard it before because i always had the radio on. Then i did my timing belt and it took a couple days to find the radio code. I had to drive around for a few days listening to wind noise instead of music lol... I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and found a way to fix it though?

Old 10-21-2008, 02:42 AM
1st Gear

tape up all the windows with masking, go for a drive @ speed. take tape off window by window to find the offender. finding wind noise is more annoying than living with it!

Old 10-21-2008, 02:47 AM
4th Gear

Try closing your sunroof shade thing. That will tell you if it's the sunroof or not if it gets quieter. Mine does it too. But whats really bad is my drivers door. Anything over 70 and it's loud. If I pull the door closed more up at the top of it with my hand it's quiet. I need to adjust it if I can or figure something out. At 145mph its REALLY REALLY loud! HAHA

Josh

Old 10-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Guru

Just try changing your door seals. After awhile they compress and don't seal as well.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:13 AM
5th Gear

what i did to reduce wind noise is to get 1/4" diameter hose and stick it in the weather seals on top of the door. all i hear on the highway is my tires and one of my wheel bearings up front. sometimes if the wind is strong, i'll hear it a bit. also, what you can try to do is tape up the areas you think is making the noise and take the car on the highway. that way you can pinpoint where it's coming from

Old 10-21-2008, 04:50 PM

I was talking to a guy from Auto Glass and he said to me that if you have a window replaced in 1 of the doors then it could be that they have not aligned the hings correctly so it might be a little bit out.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Administrator

I noticed this same thing while driving the other day, sounded like it was coming from the driver's side rear door. So i stuck my hand back there and felt a lot of wind coming in from around the door seals. I'd go with hiwords on this one and take a look at the door seals. I agree that its annoying, but i also agree that some things just aren't worth the time/effort they take to fix. I just turn the music up a little louder lol. GL!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

Yeah ill probably just leave it for now. I mean its not like their leaking or anything. Ill just focus on the more major things i want to do, then worry about the smaller details.

Quick Reply: Wind noise while driving