B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Why would a company make a product for a car that doesn't fit!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Why would a company make a product for a car that doesn't fit!!

RANT!!

Maybe I am an idiot. Maybe I am blind.

But how does a company make a product for a car that doesn't fit??

I am talking about the Precision Interface Electronics Auxiliary input for the Audi A4 B5. What this product is "supposed" to do is it would attach to a 13-pin male connector which is normally attached to the 6 disk CD changer. You would unhook this connector from the changer thus rendering the changer useless and you would plug it into a wire that comes with the product into the auxillary unit. From there, you would run a RCA male cable to the front seats and plug it into your phone.

The issue is that there is no 13 pin connector in the trunk!!!

In the 30 minute process this took outside in the bitter Chicago cold, I first unscrewed the plastic mold thats in the trunk that helps hold the carpet wall on the left side. I popped out the carpet wall and tediously unscrewed the bolts which were very hard to reach. I take out the bracket that is holding the CD changer and I come to find that there is no 13-pin connector in existence!

Now even if there was a connector, that whole process is very tedious and annoying just to get the auxiliary unit in and I am very unhappy about this! You can't simply take the changer out with a couple of screws, you have to take out the whole bracket.

Someone please tell I am wrong and an idiot.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

Okay, you are wrong and an idiot.

But that doesn't answer your question.....

460Jetboat

Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 PM
2nd Gear

i was at the junk yard and seen 2, if not 3 different types of plugs for the disk changer.

i know one is round.(in my 2000, and seems to be in all facelift?)
also there is a rectangular, prolly 13pin connector.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

Nah the 13 pin connector is round. I mean I looked 360 degrees around the bracket and cd changer and swear that there was no such connector in sight.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:40 PM
2nd Gear

so ur saying the connecotoryou have is round?

but the CD changer doesn't have a connector that IS round?

if that's what u mean, then u have the OTHER style connector, the rectangular one.

otherwise from what i understand, u mean your round connector is NOT 13pin?(the one connected to the CD)

Old 01-29-2011, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

The auxiliary unit that I ordered come with a 13-pin female cable that plugs in the the unit.

The CD changer in the trunk has no 13-pin male cable whatsoever.

The product I purchased is made exactly for my car and sound system.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

You should just unplug the cable from the CD Changer and it plugs into the wire you have.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:59 AM
2nd Gear

Are you sure that this cable isn't supposed to be connected to the head unit, bypassing the CD changer and using it's circuit? That's how I hooked up my Sirius Satellite Radio. I'm using a Blitzsafe adapter that taps into the head unit.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

Blitzsafe does bypass that and goes through the headunit. I did not know that until after I bought the Precision.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

What cable is connected to the CD Changer already installed? Are you saying that the CD Changer is not even connected? Was there even a cable connected to it when you removed the changer? If you unplugged the changer, can you take a picture of the connector going to the deck and any connectors in the cavity when the unit is removed? I think pictures would help out out a lot.

If there was no cable running back to changer I would also remove the head unit and see if the CD Changer portion of the connector is wired up. It's the portion of the 20 pin connector circled on the left in the picture below. If it is wired up, you will have to find out where those wires go because they have to end somewhere. Maybe your cable is sitting under the rear seat but you need to confirm if they were wired from the factory or not.

Doug

Quick Reply: Why would a company make a product for a car that doesn't fit!!