B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...
View Poll Results: A poll
01 audi a4 1.8t sport package 54km
94.74%
03 jetta 1.8t wolfsburg red/black 64km
5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Why does everyone say "DONT GET AN AUDI"?? PLEASE HELP info on car i want to

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Default Why does everyone say "DONT GET AN AUDI"?? PLEASE HELP info on car i want to

hello everyone im new here and about to purchace a 01 a4 1.8t. i was wondering why i hear a lot of people say stay away from audi...they are no good.... they have electrial problems ect. could you guys help me out beucase im currently deciding between a 01 a4 1.8 or an 03 jetta 1.8t wolfsburg. if i get the audi am i asking for trouble? or are both cars the same **** lol please help me it would be greatly apreciated thanks for all your help

Info on car getting....
the audi i am hopefully gonna get today or tomorrow is as follows
black ext
white interiour
manual
54,000km
comes with sport turbo(little flag on 1.8t
the outside has a bunch of small surface scratches on driver door and driver side passenger door
the inside of the car is MINT. no cracks in leather...no sitans on rung..no buttons broken... and even the blastic running board where u open the doors has no scratches on it. i am guessing an older person drove this car cause the condtion is mint inside.

the Jetta
red ext
black cloth int
wolfsburg
manual
63,000km
paint out side is good contiion but is red
inside is good condition on this car u can tell someone younger and less careful drove beucase the palstic on on the part you step on where the bottom of the door is is all scratched on all 4 sides(which i know is normal but the audi dident have even one) and also on the driver door card ther is like 10-15 scrates right becice the speacker from getting in/out but they are very small and fine)

so guys help me out thanks

Old 06-15-2006, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Why does everyone say "DONT GET AN AUDI"?? PLEASE HELP info on car i want to

There is a perception that Audi's are unreliable...this is largely not the case. If your friends have examples of "I know a guy who had to buy a whole new tranny" etc., there are horror-stories for every kind of car....sometimes you get unlucky and get a crappy one. Get the car inspected before you buy it, then be prepared to maintain it properly, and it'll run just fine. I'd say the cost of maintainence for an Audi is a bit higher than, say, a Geo Metro...but that's the price you pay for driving a finely tuned German engine instead of some crappy junker.

I don't know much about the "Wolfsburg" tuning...similar to an Audi sport package?....but those two cars you listed are damn near identical....Audi=VW the same way Lexus=Toyota and Infiniti=Nissan. If the Audi has quattro and the prices are close, definitely buy the Audi.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Default RE: Why does everyone say "DONT GET AN AUDI"?? PLEASE HELP info on car i want to

thanks for the info nad ya i know the two cars are very similar they are actually priced 200 diffrence from eachother lol but keep the comments comming and thanks for the help

Old 06-15-2006, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

i had the same fear when i bought my car in march of this year
i have had it for 4 months now and i have done nothing to it (except mods, of course...)

an audi is above a VW, so expect it to be a little more $ to maintain it....makes sense, doesnt it?

GOOD LUCK

Old 06-15-2006, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

Most of the "should I get an Audi?" posts I have seen are from younger folk who dont have steady jobs to maintain the cars after they purchase them. Either that or they dont seem they will want to maintain it. We dont want to screw them and say "Oh yeah get it" well unless they want to throw a huge wing on it and a blow off valve.

Only reason I have one is because I got a great deal from a family friend, otherwise I would be driving a Jetta 1.8t which is still an excelent car.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:30 PM
4th Gear

I would not say that!

Get the 1.8T all the way!

Audis are mechanical harmony. They are excellent vehicles, my audi is the finest car I have owned yet.

They do need to be well maintained. Either be prepared to pay for it, or do like most of us here do and do most work yourself.

But once you own one, you will see why we love these cars so much.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:31 PM

ok thansk ya im currently working for the sumer full time so as long as repiars arnt to frewuent and expensive i should be ok keep em comming i think im going to pick up one of the to tonite

Old 06-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Site Moderator

What engine does the Jetta have?

There are very few differences as far as build quality between the Jetta and the A4. Any problems you may encounter on the A4, you may also have to deal with on the Jetta.

The only downside to getting the 2001.5 A4, is that it may be difficult to mod. When they did a specifi range, they basically used the 01 parts unitl they ran out, then dippied into the 02 parts. Depending on where the car was on the manufacturing line will determine what part it has. Ask Dafrazi about his.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:36 PM

definatly go with the audi... youl fall in love, keep in mind what you want as well... dont sacrifice quality... the audi has that luxury feel... id definatly go with the audi if i were you

keep in mind although there may seem to be all these problems, it also depends on the age and how you treat the car

Old 06-15-2006, 06:03 PM

ok thanks for the imput keep it comming...ya i plan to take good care of my car. also it will be doing a few highway trips about 160km about 2 times a month. and the jetta is also a 1.8t

Quick Reply: Why does everyone say "DONT GET AN AUDI"?? PLEASE HELP info on car i want to