B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

?Whistling sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

So, I checked the lines and everything that I know of....Listened to the sound with a stethoscope. It is coming right from top of the turbo-turbine component- located b/w the engine and the heat shield....If I am thinking/guessing right, the turbo connects to the exhaust just right to the engine (looking from front of the car) and that is exactly the place where the noise is coming from.....
Damn.....sounds like I need a new turbo...
But I am going to take it to a mech tomorrow and see what he says (maybe he will find something less bad).
Anyhow, if it really is a turbo and I need a new one, how much does it usually cost??
I have not looked at any diy but is it a feasible diy project??

Tx again

Old 05-27-2010, 10:33 PM
2nd Gear

I'm nearly positive thats a bad turbo. Time to upgrade!!!!

ECStuning.com sells replacements, or you could piece together an upgraded kit. If you're lazy APR sells turbo kits but you pay for your laziness.

Plenty of people DIY turbo upgrades, but its pretty in depth. Gotta have the tools, the knowledge and the guts. If you dont have a repair manual and an extent of tools I wouldn't try it. To my knowledge its fairly straight forward, just remove and replace. You'll also have to drain coolant and oil though.

Things to keep in mind with your new 'bo. (just coined that nickname for a turbo by the way )
Warm up and cool down times: observe them
I always start up my car and let it idle in the driveway while I load it. Maybe 30 seconds to a minute depending on temperature. Then I dont drive it hard until its warmed up to the bottom line on the gauge.

I let the turbo cool down for another 30 seconds to a few minutes depending on the severity of the drive. This time is short because our 'bos are also coolant cooled, so the convection currents of heating and cooling coolant help cool it off even as the engine is off.

Blah blah blah.... lol

Sorry for your loss man!

Old 05-27-2010, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

Tx Kayakman..
I think this is the one you were talking about..for $715.00
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...rbo/ES1892044/

I will buy it once I show my car to a mechanic just to make the right diagnosis....
But few questions to help me further.. (keep in mind that I have not done any mods to the car)...please feel free to ignore them if you feel like now I am just that SOB who wants to save some money.....
1. How about rebuilding K03..That would help me save some money and maybe an opportunity to learn the intricate details of turbo.
2. I did some internet search and people are selling on ebay, gpopshop etc. Is there any that you think is better than other?
Thats all I can think of right now...I am just trying to make a list as to what I will need if turbo is what needs replacing and then, I would just get it done this weekend.

Its also kindda exciting to think that now I will know more about the turbos as well...(if I it is indeed bad)

Last edited by bixing; 05-28-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:41 AM
4th Gear

If you must replace, you might as well upgrade. The KO4 is suitable as a "replacement upgrade," but like the little ditty next to it says, tuning is suggested to maximize it's potential. I say, if you have the money, go bigger. There are a few places out there that sell complete Elim kits with software (tuning) and fueling (injectors) that will pump out a lot more power than the KO4 ever would. Of course, now you're looking closer to 3 grand instead of less than 1 grand. So, that is completely up to you. Of course, you don't have quattro, so putting all that power to the pavement would be difficult.

Oh, and a boost gauge is a must, no matter what route you decide to take.

Hopefully, it's not your 'bo (haha, good one kayak), but I'm leaning towards it myself now that we have more info.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
If you must replace, you might as well upgrade. The KO4 is suitable as a "replacement upgrade," but like the little ditty next to it says, tuning is suggested to maximize it's potential. I say, if you have the money, go bigger. There are a few places out there that sell complete Elim kits with software (tuning) and fueling (injectors) that will pump out a lot more power than the KO4 ever would. Of course, now you're looking closer to 3 grand instead of less than 1 grand. So, that is completely up to you. Of course, you don't have quattro, so putting all that power to the pavement would be difficult.

Oh, and a boost gauge is a must, no matter what route you decide to take.

Hopefully, it's not your 'bo (haha, good one kayak), but I'm leaning towards it myself now that we have more info.
Tx for the input. Can you tell me how does a boost gauge help? Also, is a turbo timer a must too?? (I gave up few months ago on slowing down/idling for 30-60 sec)
Another thing, I found this website -http://blaastperformance.com - who rebuild turbos for $220.00!! You 've heard anything about them--good or bad? I am thinking of trying it since it saves a lot of money and plus, I think I am not going to run my car hard anymore in the fear of something else may blow up..LOL.. This Audi has left huge holes in my pockets this year ( 6 months more to go yet!!)

Old 05-28-2010, 01:07 AM
4th Gear

Boost gauge is a must in that it helps you keep an eye on your boost. If it starts acting funny, you know something is wrong.

A turbo timer is a great help, I'm thinking of getting one myself sometime, but not necesary as long as you're not driving too hard for the last few minutes of your drive, and you give yourself a bit of cool down time before you kill it.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

So, can I still drive with a blown Turbo without causing any further damage to "anything"?

Old 05-28-2010, 12:03 PM
2nd Gear

Don't do that...you are playing roulette with your motor.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:16 PM
4th Gear

^agreed. It's feasable, but I wouldn't.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

Ok. So, final decision---I am going for K04 upgrade. decided.. am excited about it..
Please look at this link to help me figure out which K04 kit should I order? http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-.../Engine/Turbo/

Also, what else do I have to or may not have to change after this upgrade?

If I get a quicker reply, I may be able to order it today itself...

Tx again for dealing with impatient me!!

Bix

Quick Reply: ?Whistling sound