B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

While I'm in there...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:58 AM
1st Gear
Default While I'm in there...

Hello,
I am purchasing a 2001 A4 2.8, 5 speed 131k miles. The price was right so I couldn't pass it up (lets just say even if I had to replace the entire drivetrain I would still be doing good.) The car has no compression on one bank of cylinders. I was told by the mechanic at the repair shop that the timing bet was likely put on wrong and that the one side was out of sync and bent valves. The belt didn't break so compression on the other side is still ok. In fact, the car still runs and drives enough for me to load it on the trailer. I know that I am going to replace the head on the the right side. I am also going to do the FULL timing belt replacement with the tensioner, water pump, rollers, and seals. I will also give it a tune-up. My question is, should I replace anything else while I have the front of the car off and everything taken apart? Is there any reason to pull the other head and replace the head gasket or "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?" This will be an extra car so I can take the time to fix any of the things that typically go wrong so that I don't have to mess with it down the road. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:03 AM
1st Gear

Sorry about the double post. Moderator please delete this one. When I clicked "submit" the browser froze so I didn't think it worked.